Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Big trees, Red Rocks & everything in between

Hi, I'm back again! Our road trip in Sept 2014 did not come about sadly... so we are planning a revised trip in May/June 2015.

Leaving from Canada-Spokane-Dalles-Portland-Eugene-Florence-Humbolt SP-Calavaras Big Trees-(Gold rush history/sightseeing??)

Now I'm stuck not sure best way to get into Nevada? We have a 4X4 truck, are tent camping( will it be too cold camping this time of year in these areas?) We have went through Death Valley, so would like another option.

Snow Valley SP-ST George- Zion NP- Page-???(options below)

Haven't decided whether to go Monument Valley-Mesa Verde-Durango-go through Colorado( Sights to see here??)-Mt Rushmore-Canada

or Sunset Crater- Sedona-Petrified Forest NP-Chinle-Monument Valley-Goosenecks SP-Mesa Verde-Durango-Black Gunnison NP-National Elk Reserve(Jackson) if elk are still here this time of year?? West Entrance Yellowstone( We missed Norris Basin & would like to do a quick trip into Yellowstone to see this & finish the loop at Old Faithful)-Butte-Missoula-Kalispell-Canada

We want to tent camp or stay possibly stay in tenting cabins.... have 14-18? days

Looking for Natural Wonders, Slot Canyons, Parks, & History

Biggest Concern is weather?? & roads open at that time of year??

Thanks in advance for all your help.... LOVE this site!!!!

Default Welcome back.

Providing the Tioga Pass is open you could head over the Sierras to Mono lake from the Goldrush towns on 49 and through Tonopah and then take the ET Highway [375] to US93/NV168/I15 to Zion. With your time frame I'm not sure heading further south and then into Colorado would be feasable without being rushed. You could head to Bryce canyon, Capital Reef and Arches NP's before heading north with a 'drive thru' of Yellowstone. Thats already quite a lot with your time frame.

The later you go in May or early June the more chance of the mountain passes being open.

Thanks... after I posted & thought about it...going into Colorado really isn't an option... oh well another trip lol. We have been to Capital Reef & Moab last year. Are all the roads across the Sierras closed in May? Are there any routes open near Lake Tahoe at that time of year usually? If Tioga Pass is open I had planned on the route you have mentioned. Zion & Bryce Canyon & Page may have to be all we see in that area. Although I was hoping to go to Sedona. Would going from Page-Mesa Verde-Moab-Price-Park City-Bear Lake SP make more sense for drive home? If we have time we could detour into West Yellowstone.. if not then that would be for another trip also. I understand what you are saying about later go then roads may be open. Any slot canyon suggestions? Planning on Zion & Page for sure.

Are all the roads across the Sierras closed in May? Are there any routes open near Lake Tahoe at that time of year usually? If Tioga Pass is open I had planned on the route you have mentioned.
    The truckers have to get our goods through the mountains, so the Interstates are almost always open. I-80 through Donner Pass occasionally has to close for a blizzard, but CalTrans will get it back open as soon as it's safe. In late May or early June, a blizzard is possible but not likely. US-50 (south of Lake Tahoe) is another one that is usually open but occasionally has to close the pass because of a blizzard.

Donna

Thank you Donna... I thought some roads would need to be open. We live in mountains also, so know that spring storms can come but chances are not so much at that time of year. Highway 50 would work ideally so I will plan that route with I-80 as alternative.

Across the Sierras, I-80, US-50, and CA-88 are maintained year round. South of CA-88, the next year round pass is CA-178.

Thanks GLC! :)

Default The Narrows.

Sedona is quite a bit out of the way, especially considering your time frame. There is a good chance that Tioga Pass will be open but there is also a good chance that 108 and 4 [Calavaras State park] will be open.

As for slot canyons, check out the 'Narows' in Zion NP, a popular hike through the Virgin river. You definitely need to check out conditions and forecasts before going ahead with it and would be best to speak to a park Ranger. You can hire equipment in the town of Springdale. [wet gear etc]

Have you been to the North rim of the GC ? It would be a worthwhile overnight stop on the way to Marble canyon/Page. If you end up going through MV to Mesa Verde then you could continue to Durango and drive up the scenic 'Million Dollar Highway' through the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray. That would put you in close proximity to Black canyon and the Colorado National monument near Fruita which has a nice rim drive through the tunnels. Before you decide anything after Zion, I would work on how much time you want/have to spend getting that far, with the attractions on your list to that point, and then see how much you have left to get home.

I have been researching lots of California info coming up with a plan here somewhat:
    I am thinking book yurts along the coast in case of rain/fog/cold but still can experience camping in area.
    (1)BC-Spokane or Tri-Cities area-motel
    (2)Dalles-Portland-Eugene-Florence( motel if only go to Eugene-book a yurt if in Florence)
    (3)Florence-Crescent City Ca-This maybe 2 days along here?
    (4)Crescent City area or stay further down coast
    (5)Humbolt SP-stay in area
    (6) take 101 via Leggett-Sacramento-Indian Grinding Rock SP( near Jackson) 5.5 hrs Stay in campground here
    (7)San Andreas-Angels Camp-Calaveras Big Trees State Park-Columbia Historic SP-Bridgeport(Via 108)-Bodie Ghost Town-5hrs Stay in area camping
    (8)Mono Lake area-Cathedral Gorge SP- camp
    (9) Cathedral Gorge SP-Zion NP-Stay 2 nights
    (10)Zion NP
    (11)Zion NP-Page- Antelope Canyon tour-camp
    (12)Page-Bryce Canyon-camp
    (13)still working on way home?????????????

Any thoughts,comments,ideas?? love historical, native,scenery ... tent or yurt camping

You need to note that Ebbetts Pass (4), Monitor Pass (89), Sonora Pass (108), and of course Tioga Pass (120) are not maintained in the winter and may not be open yet. The road to Bodie (270) is also not maintained in the winter.

Right now, it's a bit unusual - Bodie and Monitor Pass are open.