1. Default One-way LA to Boston

Hello!

I am planning to drive from LA to Boston this summer and want to make a trip out of it. Although it doesn't make much sense, I will be driving up north to Portland and Seattle first as I've always wanted to visit. I don't necessarily have a time limit on the trip, but would like to keep it under 2 weeks. I also plan on stopping in Chicago and potentially UT as I have a friend living there. I would love any and all advice, suggestions, and tips :)

Thanks!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The great thing about a roadtrip is that your destinations don't have to "make sense" other than they need to be places you want to go.

However, I will say that if you want to limit this trip to 2 weeks, doing a lot of zig-zagging back and forth could make your available time go away very quickly. LA to Seattle, back down to Utah (Salt Lake City) and then onto Chicago and Boston makes for about a 4500 mile trip. That's 8-9 full days of driving one way, before you start factoring in stops to explore or visit friends. Certainly, that could still make for a good trip with 2 weeks, but keep that in mind before adding more destinations.

Otherwise, this site is filled with ideas and advice, and I'd suggest you simply start by looking around - and as you have more specific questions, we'll do our best to answer them.

Default While you are zig-zagging.

You may or may not be aware that you are in for a considerable amount in tolls from Chicago to Boston. There is an excellent way to avoid most of these by adding relatively few miles. Take I-65 out of Chicago to to I-70 at Indianapolis to I-71 to I-76 to I-80 in Akron to I-380 in Eastern PA to I-84 through CT to I-90 (the Masspike) into Boston.

The Masspike is a toll road, but depending on where you are headed in Boston, you could possible avoid it as well. See if I-95 or I-93 take you to your destination.

Lifey

4. Default

Very helpful tip! My final destination is actually western MA where my father lives, so I won't have to stay on the pike / I-90 as long as if I were staying on to boston. Thanks for the help!

5. Default

Good to know. I may cut out UT as it's lowest on the totem pole of places I'm hoping to visit before moving back. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristina426 View Post
    Very helpful tip! My final destination is actually western MA where my father lives, so I won't have to stay on the pike / I-90 as long as if I were staying on to boston. Thanks for the help!
    Yeah, but the Mass Pike is one of the smallest sections of tollway that you'd see on your trip. I-90 is tolled nearly all the way from before Chicago to Boston. Just something to be aware of as you figure out your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristina426 View Post
    In that case you will probably not need to go on the Masspike at all. Leave I-84 in Danbury and head north on US-7. That is a lovely drive, although not high speed like the interstates.

Lifey

From Chicago, you might as well take I-90 through Cleveland to I-86 in PA and through NY to Binghamton, then I-88 to Albany and on in to western MA via whatever is most direct from there. I-90 is toll through IN and part of OH but the extra miles involved going south to I-70 would negate most of the savings because you will be burning more gas.