Default Northern Wisconsin to Mackinac Bridge for Labor Day Walk

Hi All,

It has been a while since I have been on the site. For the past three Labor Day weekends, I have been taking my Dad and some family to the Mackinac Bridge for the annual Labor Day Walk. The trip is just over 500 miles round trip from my house. This year(2014) I pulled my 65 year old travel trailer with a 21 year old truck and we stayed at Tahquamenon Falls near Lake Superior. The camp ground was perfect. Dad is 83 and enjoyed every minute of the long weekend.

Here is a link for the camp ground and a link for the Bridge Walk event

The weather was awesome, despite the rain everyone in our group of five had fun.

For 2015 we are looking at adding a day to each end of our little outing. Any suggestions on things to see in and around the St Ignace and Mackinaw City area would be appreciated. We have explored Mackinac Island quite a bit so I am thinking that going there again is not on the plate. We are also looking at staying at the Straits View Camp Ground in St Ignace. Anyone ever stay there and if so, what did you think of it?

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-28-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: preferred link format

Tucson, AZ

Default Don't Overlook the Obvious

If you end up staying at Tahquamenon Falls State Park again this year, or even nearby, there are a few 'major' attractions that are a about as close as the Bridge. The three most obvious are Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore to the west, Colonial Michillimackinac State Historical Park at the south end of the Bridge, and the Soo Locks. Even a short foray into Canada might be enjoyable if everyone has their passports in order. A couple of other low-stress nearby activities might include the Tahquamenon Logging Museum and the Point Iroquois Light Station.

Green County, Wisconsin

I would agree with pretty much everything Buck has suggested. There are some fantastic places to explore, even if you've been there before.

I can't speak specifically to the campground you've asked about, but my concern would be that a spot that close to St Ignace and Mackinaw City would be very busy and crowded, especially over the holiday weekend with the bridge walk going on. Depending upon how attached you are to hookups, there are some great, and still quiet, places in the nearby Hiawatha National Forest. One of my all-time favorite campgrounds is in the National Forest right along Lake Superior, just west of the lighthouse Buck referenced. Of course, there are also a lot of other campgrounds in the National Forest, some closer to Mackinaw, although they generally are primitive sites.

I'd also agree with Buck about considering heading up into Canada. Even just taking a drive north of SSM is quite scenic and worth considering.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Canada is out for passport reasons. SSM is a definite possibility. Will look into the logging museum(Dad spent most of his career with a chain saw in his hands) and the Colonial park.

The main focus of our trip is the Bridge Walk event. We revived a decades old family tradition three years ago. Yeppers, its a bit silly, but hey, life is short, right? Crowds are not an issue for me or anyone in our group. We stayed at Tahquamenon as I was too late to book a site at Straits View. Am planning on booking as soon as possible this time around. The camp ground was great but its too far away to make it to the bridge with the narrow window of time that the walk event is going on. We did make it, but had 22 minutes to spare before they closed the start line.

My trailer is a 1949 model, so hookups are for electric only for a handful of lights and the fridge. No AC, televisions, computers, etc, etc. One step above a tent, but its dry, cozy, and warm. I removed the water system that the previous owner attempted to install for weight reasons. We do need the fridge for medical supplies. We could get by with a cooler if we absolutely had to. Our camp site of choice would be a pull through(trailer is 34 feet long). I can thread the eye of a needle with it in reverse, so backing in isnt an issue either.

Hotels are way over priced for the weekend, so camping is the best route. We did hotels the first couple of years, but stayed about an hour away for cost/availability reasons. Hotels are nice, but having a fire and being outdoors is definitely our thing.