Default Famous Diner, Drive-Ins, Dives, or similiar from San Diego, GCNP, Page, Zion & Moab?

My family of four (two adults, two children)
    will be leaving Fri 12/26/14 headed from San Diego early am to Grand Canyon South Rim, staying there Fri 12/26 & Sat 12/27, then departing Sun 12/28 and heading to Page, AZ to see Antelope Canyon before heading on to Zion National Park, staying at the Zion Lodge on Sun 12/28, Mon 12/29, Tues 12/30 and departing on Wed 12/31 to possibly check out Moab. (My family likes to Jeep and is taunted by being so close to Moab and despite not having the Jeep with us, may want to just take a peek or even find a place to crash.) Our rental car isn't due to be returned until Sat 1/3/15, and our return home is not concrete.

We were hoping to get any input on must see, must try, must eat places either on the way or around our destinations. We particularly love to watch Diners, Drives, and Dives & other "Foodie" shows - so anything that has been feautured on a show like this would really make our day! But we welcome all input! It's our first long distance road trip, we typically stick to locations near San Diego like Anza Borrego, Yuma, Truckhaven, Ocotillo, etc.

Also any input on routes, especially this time of year with road closures being a consideration.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You don't need a jeep at all to enjoy the Moab area - a standard rental car can explore all the main roads of Arches and Canyonlands.

Between Zion and Moab, I'd strongly consider checking out Bryce Canyon and Capital Reef - driving scenic route 12 along the way. After Moab, it would also be easy to check out Monument Valley on your way back to SD, if you have time (although that seems like you could be running short too.

I can't help you on the food shows, other than to say most of those shows have information on their websites about the places they've featured. I also have a "tv food maps" app on my phone, which does highlight many places that have been featured on tv shows. The RTA Map Center also has some dining options to check out - they may or may not have been featured on tv, but they generally have some unique features to be highlighted as a place worth checking out on a roadtrip.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-24-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added a link