Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Texas Road Trip help

Hi

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) planning a summer road trip around Texas (or as much as we can do, anyway!). We are flying into Dallas & out of Houston. We love the National Parks, so Big Bend is a must (although it's a loonnnnggg way!) and we also have 2 nights booked at a Dude Ranch in the Hill Country.

Would you mind having a look at our itinerary and making any suggestions? Ideas of what to see and do would also be much appreciated.

Fort Worth 3 nights
    San Angelo 1 night
    Fort Stockton 1 night
    Fort Davis 2 nights
    Big Bend 2 nights
    Del Rio 1 night
    Bandera 2 nights
    Austin (via Fredericksberg) 2 nights
    San Antonio 2 nights
    Port Aransas 2 nights
    Houston 3 nights
    Galveston 1 night
    Houston (near airport) 1 night

Default Nothing Wrong per se

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, a list of cities and dates really doesn't tell us much about your proposed RoadTrip other than where/when you're going. Certainly you can cover the ground in the time allotted and see a number of sites at leisure while doing so, but the essence of any RoadTrip is precisely what you do outside the car, about which you've told us nothing. One can infer that scenery and history are at least mildly important to you, so I'll just toss out a few places I've enjoyed in that area that might not be n your agenda.

If you're going to Fredericksburg, then a visit to Johnson City on the way to Austin is also in order. Seeing where LBJ came from is every bit as important as seeing where he ended up. While in Austin, a visit to the local institution, the Salt Lick is in order for a 'taste' of Texas'. In San Antonio, try to visit the other missions besides the one that became famous. It's a shame/blessing that much of the Texas Gulf coast is relatively inaccessible, but you could head for Freeport from Port Aransas and drive the Bluewater Highway (TX-257) and San Luis Pass Road (TX-3005) up to Galveston rather than make Galveston an out-and-back journey from Houston. Finally, in Houston, NASA's Johnson Space Center is no longer as visitor friendly as it used to be, and the historic rockets have been moved from their open air location at the entrance, but everything has been moved next door to Space Center Houston.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for the reply - it is a bit bare bones at the moment! We love baseball, so we're working around the fixtures which is restricting dates a little. We need to be in Houston before Galveston to catch the Astros at home! We thought Galveston would merit a night there rather than a daytrip - is that right?

Thanks for the info about the Space Center. We do want to visit.

The adults like history, hiking and open space, the kids like beaches and cities and we all like music. We're not sure how much much to time to spend in Austin & San Antonio so have guessed at 2 nights for each? Not sure if we can take the kids to venues etc in Austin if we want to listen to music?

We have guessed at the best route from Dallas to Big Bend with stops on the way - any thoughts on that would be helpful.

The quickest route from DFW to Big Bend is I-20 to Monahans, TX-18 to Fort Stockton, then US-385. This is doable in a long day, if you want to break it up you can spend a night in Fort Stockton.

Default More Stuff

If baseball is on the agenda, may I recommend etams other than the Astros and Texans. Minor League Baseball (MiLB) is a far more cost-effective and family-friendly way to take in a game if you are not an avid fan of either of the participating teams on any given day. Along your proposed route possibilities include the Round Rock Express (AAA); the Frisco Rough Riders, Midland Rock Hounds, San Antonio Missions, and Corpus Christi Hooks (AA).

Much of Austin's incredibly diverse music scene is aimed at students from the University of Texas, so depending on the age of your teens, much of it will be accessible to them. In any event, I'm sure you can find something there to enjoy. Also, a couple of sites for history and hiking on the way from Big Bend to the southern Gulf coast would be the Judge Roy Bean Center and the Amistad National Recreation Area.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-28-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Fix Typos

I would highly suggest rethinking Big Bend in the hot Texas summer ... it is extremely hot down there in the summer and you will not be able to hike as much as you would like. It is also extremely remote ... if something does happen helps is often at least 2 hrs or more away. The north, east , central and gulf coast areas are much more enjoyable during the summer. West Tx and especially far SW Texas should be avoided about May thru early October. If you still want to go to Big Bend reach alot so you are prepared.

Az Buck is correct minor league baseball is very good here in Texas.

Check out our state parks for more options!

Default Nice first post.

Hi Traci, welcome to RTA and thanks for jumping in with some local knowledge on your first ever post.

Dave.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Traci Money View Post
    I would highly suggest rethinking Big Bend in the hot Texas summer ... it is extremely hot down there in the summer and you will not be able to hike as much as you would like. It is also extremely remote ... if something does happen helps is often at least 2 hrs or more away. The north, east , central and gulf coast areas are much more enjoyable during the summer. West Tx and especially far SW Texas should be avoided about May thru early October. If you still want to go to Big Bend reach alot so you are prepared.

Az Buck is correct minor league baseball is very good here in Texas.

Check out our state parks for more options!
    Hi Traci

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Unfortunately we are tied to UK school holidays, so it's August or nothing if we want to do a trip longer than 2 weeks. Big Bend is somewhere we really want to go to, so we will need to be prepared for hot weather and plan accordingly. We are going to look for interesting but easily manageable walks and won't plan to be out in the sun all day. The rangers are usually really helpful in our experience, so we will check with them before setting out. Main thing I think will be water, hats and sunscreen - and sensible shoes of course! Don't fancy meeting a desert critter with my toes exposed!

Can you recommend any state parks on our route for another option?

Also, I understand that Football is pretty important in Texas. Will we be too early to catch a game if we are there in August?

The football season doesn't really get going until September. There are NFL (pro) preseason games in August that you might be able to see in Dallas or Houston, but the regular players typically only play for a short period of the game. The games end up being more like practice/tryouts for the backups, and the atmosphere isn't nearly the same as a regular game. However, you could probably get tickets cheap on the secondary market (i.e. scalpers/resale websites like stubhub) if you wanted to check it out. Otherwise, real games - including high school and college - don't typically start until at least the last weekend of August.

10. Default

Thanks Michael - I thought we might be too early for a game but wondered about pre-season. One of the things we really enjoy is experiences that we can't easily have at home and sporting events are completely different in the US. At least we are prepared for a tailgate party now - we have nothing like that over here!