Thread: Denver to LA

1. Default Denver to LA

Hi all. Brand new to the forum and planning my first road trip. Grateful for all your help and suggestions! Looking to travel from Denver to LA in late July. 2 week holiday. We are a family of 5. Kids 18, 17 and 10. What's unmissable en route? Suggestions for great places to stay very welcome....particularly in LA where would like to spend a great few days at the end of our hols. Thanks all.

Default To many to mention.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Between Denver and LA there a thousand and one things and then some more that are unmissable, what you have to work out is which are of particular interest to you, you just don't have time to see it all. I would start by having a look at a map and do a little research around the RTA site. If you are into 'Nature' then you can't go wrong with many scenic route options, small towns and State and National parks and Monuments. To name just a few would include Rocky mountain , Black Canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon, Zion and the Grand canyon. You could even look at a route that takes you through Death valley to Yosemite NP and onto San Francisco before driving down the scenic coast highway around Big Sur. I could go on forever about interesting places between these National parks, but I think you first need to put some dots on the map that will help decide on which route to go and then we can help fill in the blanks.

Enjoy the planning.

3. Default The Traveler

Hello! Sounds like a fun road trip. I have traveled this route before, so this is what i would recommend:
    Leg 1- Denver to Moab, Utah. Im thinking that if your from Denver you may have already been to Rocky Mountain NP and Trail Ridge Road. If not, this is one beautiful place! I-70 through Colorado and Utah is one of the most scenic Interstate Highways in the country. I-70 climbs steeply into the rockies from Denver and continues to climb until you get to the highest elevation at the Eisenhower Tunnel at about 12,000 ft. Slow down through the tunnel as their is a very steep decsent of about 10 miles after leaving the tunnel. I-70 also climbs Vail Pass before running near the Colorado River and through beautiful canyons, especially Glenwood Canyon! After entering Utah, continue to Cisco and follow signs to route 128. Take route 128( Colorado River National Scenic Byway ) to Moab.
    This beautiful byway takes you through the red rock canyons alongside the Colorado River to Moab. Arches National Park, Canyonlands NP, and Dead Horse Point SP are places not to be missed. Also, Moab Diner is a great place for breakfast.
    Leg 2- Moab, Utah to Kanab, Utah. You could take I-70, however, i would instead recommend taking I-70 to Route 24 and follow route 24 to Hankerville. Make sure you stop at the convenience store built into a rock, very interesting indeed. Continue on route 24 west through Capitol Reef NP, then turn left onto Scenic Highway 12. This is an incredibly beautiful road that takes you through high wooded mountains, along steep cliffs, and high desert terrain through Grand Staircase National Monument and onto a cant miss attraction, Bryce Canyon NP! After visiting Bryce Canyon, continue west on route 12 through Red Canyon to US Route 89 south and continue to Kanab, which is a great base to see Zion NP, Grand Canyon's North Rim, and Lake Powell. I would plan on staying in Kanab for at least 2 days.
    Leg 3- Kanab, Utah to Las Vegas, NV. Though Vegas is mainly for adults, their are fun things for kids too and Hoover Dam should not be missed. I would do 1 or perhaps 2 nights here.
    Leg 4- Las Vegas to Los Angeles. This route takes you south on I-15 through the Mohave Desert to San Bernardino, then west on I-10 to LA. So many fun things to do here such as Disney, Universal, Warner Brothers, Huntington Beach, perhaps a drive south to San Diego to visit Sea World and San Diego Zoo. I will send a seperate recommendation for the return trip to Denver.

It doesn't get much better than the route described above.

I-70 climbs steeply into the rockies from Denver and continues to climb until you get to the highest elevation at the Eisenhower Tunnel at about 12,000 ft. Slow down through the tunnel as their is a very steep decsent of about 10 miles after leaving the tunnel. I-70
    Instead of going through the tunnel you can detour on to US6 and cross the Continental divide over Loveland Pass and rejoin I70 near Dillon Res. Fantastic views !

Default The children's involvement.

When it comes to choosing at which attractions to spend a lot of time, and which perhaps will have to wait till next time, don't forget to involve the children. Get them to do some of the research for you, and get each of them to choose at least one attraction of special interest. The more they have invested in the trip, the more memorable it will be for them.

As well as keep some records for yourself along the way - we love to hear how it all went - encourage the children to make a brief note each evening, a couple of paragraphs of their favourite memories of that day. These are great to look back on in years to come, and perhaps share with family and friends.

We have a very special forum where we encourage members to let us know how it all went, and share their favourite pictures. These reports are of great help to future roadtrippers.

Lifey