1. Default Road trip from Toronto to Philadelphia over the christmas and weekend with a toddler

Hi There,

We are planning on taking a road trip from Toronto to Philadelphia starting 25th and back on 28th, the thing is that this is our first road trip in the US and we have a toddler with us, so need advise as to the best route to take and any other advise to make the trip easier and safe. Also please advice on any tricky road areas....basically anything that will help.

thank you.

Default $hort and $weet

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming you want even a couple of days in Philadelphia, there is really only one workable route for this trip. That would be the QEW and ON-405 to north of Niagara Falls, crossing into the US and picking up I-190/I-290 down and around Buffalo to the New York State Thruway (I-90). Follow that to Syracuse and get on I-81 south to Scranton where you'd switch over to I-476, the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, into the Philadelphia area.

Those are pretty much the only roads that can get you to Philly in a single day as they are all high-speed, controlled-access highways. The downside is that there are long stretches, the New York State Thruway and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which are toll roads, so be prepared for that additional expense. Even at that, you'll only have, at most two days at your destination before you have to make the drive back home - and that's IF the weather cooperates.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thank you for the reply AZBuck. Yes we are watching the weather. If we start early in the morning, say around 4 am, which city/town is good to take a break when we are half way through. Also can you give us a rough idea of how much toll we are looking at.

Default Details

The tolls you'd be looking at are (assuming a normal family sedan and no E-Z Pass):

Queenston-Lewiston Bridge: $3.50 (US)
    Grand Island Bridges: $1.00
    New York State Thruway: $6.50
    Pennsylvania Turnpike:$12.50

Total: $23.50

The halfway point on this trip would be right around Syracuse NY where you get off the New York State Thruway and start southward on I-81, so a major city/intersection with lots of choices for food and/or lodging.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thank you, that helps.