Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Road trip with family from SF-->Yosemite-->Vegas-->Grand Canyon-->LA--SF for 9 days

I am planning to hit the road on 24-Dec from SF early morning, for a 9 day trip back on 02-Jan. Need advice on stops and stays I should take for these 9 nights and 10 days. Listed few points that I am looking advise for -
    1. My initial plan was to halt in Vegas for 3 to 4 days and visit Grand Canyon by starting from Vegas but my friend advised me that it will be waste of time to drive back and forth.
    2. I have 7 year old son who says he would like to visit Legoland because he is huge fan of Lego City toys.
    3. We would like this to be a slow and peaceful trip, no hectic travels of more than 5 to 6 hrs with very less check-in and check-outs from hotel. Ideas welcome especially on night stays with hotel brands of Mariott, IHG and Hilton.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Your friend is right, the Grand Canyon is too far away from Las Vegas to do as a day trip. You're looking at 5 hours of driving each way, so an overnight stop in really needed to do it justice. However, if you are planning to head onto LA, there is no reason to double back to Vegas at all.

If your son wants to go to Legoland, then go to Legoland, I'm not sure what your question is here?

San Francisco to Vegas and Grand Canyon to LA are both full day (8-9 hour) drives. There are places you could break up the drive if you want to limit yourself to 5-6 hours, but that would mean more checking in/out of hotels - so you'll have to decide which aspect is more important. Similarly, you can drive from LA to SF in your 6 hour range, if you stick to I-5 - if you're thinking of going up the coast, then you'd really need an overnight along the way.

Thanks Michael !!
    For Legoland I was not sure where I should stay because in LA I want to visit the Universal Studios and Disneyland.
    I will move out of Vegas and stay somewhere near Grand Canyon south rim overnight before I head out towards LA. Any suggestions en-route where I can stay between GC to LA, also between Yosemite to Vegas. Is there any good family place in between these cities for a break?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-13-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Legoland is an easy day trip from LA if you stay somewhere around Disneyland in Anaheim.

If you leave the GC around midday, you can stay in Kingman. It's about a 3 hour drive from the GC, add an hour if you want to take old 66 from Seligman to Kingman. It's about a 5 hour drive from Kingman to LA. The ONLY option between Kingman and Barstow is Needles.

There are really only 2 decent choices between Yosemite and LV - Bakersfield or Barstow. It depends when you get out of Yosemite and/or when you want to get to LV. Yosemite to LV is about 9 hours - 4 hours to Bakersfield and another 2 hours to Barstow.

If you have 2 full days between LA and SF, consider reversing the direction of your trip and take the coast highway south from SF to LA.

Anaheim has a plethora of motels and hotels in all budgets, some of them right next to the park (and even closer than the 3 Disney-owned hotels), some of them require you to take their shuttle, the Anaheim shuttle, or drive your car to the Disney parking lot. You can get to Legoland in Oceanside in about an hour, so if it were me, I'd just stay there in Anaheim until ready to move up to Universal Studios. That's about a 1-1/4 hour drive, if the traffic is right.

Donna

Keep an eye on weather conditions as you travel, for example you might need to use snowchains to enter Yosemite NP. If you are planning an overnight stop between LA and SF to explore the scenic coast drive then you should consider reversing the order of your trip, that way you would have the ocean on your side of the road. The fact that you have mentioned those attractions in LA and 3-4 days in LV leaves me wondering if you have factored in enough time for both the Grand canyon and Yosemite with the amount of driving you wish to do each day.

Default How about Tehachapi? It offers a nice place about 1/2 way

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    There are really only 2 decent choices between Yosemite and LV - Bakersfield or Barstow. It depends when you get out of Yosemite and/or when you want to get to LV. Yosemite to LV is about 9 hours - 4 hours to Bakersfield and another 2 hours to Barstow.
    Um.... really? Both cities are fine -- but in terms of a pleasant place to stay overnight -- between Yosemite and Las Vegas -- my top recommendations would be Tehachapi or even Lake Isabella and then approach Las Vegas by driving through Death Valley National Park.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Legoland is an easy day trip from LA if you stay somewhere around Disneyland in Anaheim.

If you leave the GC around midday, you can stay in Kingman. It's about a 3 hour drive from the GC, add an hour if you want to take old 66 from Seligman to Kingman. It's about a 5 hour drive from Kingman to LA. The ONLY option between Kingman and Barstow is Needles.

If you have 2 full days between LA and SF, consider reversing the direction of your trip and take the coast highway south from SF to LA.
    I will stay overnight in Bakersfield while returning firm Yosemite NP. Grand Canyon hotels are running full so I am thinking whether I should go to GC et-all and stay in LV to enjoy the Hoover dam and LV itself.

Thanks for informing about the snowchains. Honestly I was not planning or rather not aware of using chains. My plan was to visit Yosemite valley early morning on 24th , have lunch and drive around for an hour before I leave for Bakersfield. But yes I agree I need to keep an eye on weather considering the recent dip in CA temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Anaheim has a plethora of motels and hotels in all budgets, some of them right next to the park (and even closer than the 3 Disney-owned hotels), some of them require you to take their shuttle, the Anaheim shuttle, or drive your car to the Disney parking lot. You can get to Legoland in Oceanside in about an hour, so if it were me, I'd just stay there in Anaheim until ready to move up to Universal Studios. That's about a 1-1/4 hour drive, if the traffic is right.

Donna
    Thanks Donna!! I will check Anaheim, CA hotels.