1. Default Planning a trip from Danville Ca to Yellowstone Park.

Dear All,

Happy Holidays and wish you all have a wonderful year of 2015!

I am planning to go to Yellowstone Park in July from Danville CA. Can you please help me to plan this trip? I need recommendations on towns to stay and places worth to stay for sightseeing along the drive and also how to spend my days in Yellowstone Park so that I will see all the attractions. We will only have maximum 1 week and we would like to stop every 6 hours. Will it be possible to have different route on the return trip?
    Thanks in advance.

Joplin MO

Welcome back! How did last summer's trip go?

If you only want to drive 6 hours a day and only have 1 week, this is going to make any route deviations tight. It will take you 2.5 days each way by fastest route, only leaving you 2 days in Yellowstone (actually 2 half days and 1 full day).

Fastest route is I-80 to Wells NV, US-93 to Twin Falls, I-84/I-86 to Pocatello, I-15 to Idaho Falls, then US-20 to Yellowstone. Overnights work out to Battle Mountain NV and Pocatello.

Southern California

If you want to have a decent amount of time in Yellowstone, I would seriously consider upping your drive-time ... 8-10 hours instead of 6 hours. If you took 2 days going and 2 days coming back, that would give you 3 days in Yellowstone -- which is about the least amount of time to see "all the attractions".
    'The route that glc suggested, above, are the ones we used to go (this past summer) from the Yellowstone area to San Ramon (just south of you). We stayed overnight in Elko and then took breakfast in Battle Mountain. Either town has lots of motels to offer.

4. Default

Thanks GLC and Donna, my summer trip was great! The route suggested here is perfect.
    Thank you.
    If driving to YSP is too long, can you guys suggest me places to visit if I start my trip from SLC or LV?

Joplin MO

From SLC or LV, the places that stand out in my mind are Zion, Bryce, GC North Rim, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, and Cedar Breaks. You won't have time to see them all, but pick "some".

6. Default

I went to Bryce and GC North Rim. Let me check out the rest of the places before I design my route :)
    Thanks GLC!
    Merry X'mas!

Melbourne, Australia

Default Look East

If you are leaving from SLC, have you thought of looking at the hundred and hundreds of sites in Colorado.

South of England.

Default Yellowstone.

Hmm, not sure if I am missing something here, but if you can start out from SLC and you only have a week and you want to visit Yellowstone, then Yellowstone is the ideal choice, as it's only about 6 hours drive away. You could stop in the Grand Tetons for a day on the way and arrive in Yellowstone at the end of day 2, spend 3 days in the park and then exit on the spectacular Beartooth Highway to Red lodge and spend a night in Cody WY before heading back to SLC.

It's hard to beat the info on the Yelloestone NP webpage for what to do while in the park, but you may find this report which includes a visit to the Tetons helpfull.

9. Default

Thank you Dave and Lifey.
    I will take a look at your suggestion!
    Merry Christmas!
    Wish you all have an abundance of happiness, fun adventures and love this holiday season!