1. Default Boston to New Orleans by RV in winter? 5 days around New Years. Should I fly instead$

My Dad hasn't got long. He moved to NOLA about a year ago and won't be coming back. Because I feel I need to see him soon I'm choosing to use the holiday break from my new-ish job to go down there. Airline costs at holiday times are crazy, so.... Hey, honey... lets you and I pack the 3 kids in a rented RV and go down south... I've got Tuesday evening to Sunday evening. Yeah, she can drive some, too.

Am I nuts? Or just pre-grief stricken?

Appreciate any replies - whether encouraging or slap on the back of the head.

Welcome aboard! No, you're not nuts. Just very loving, and probably very worried, too!

First off, you might be better off in a car rather than an RV. First, you can't use a lot of the rig in freezing temps, as you could do some damage to pipes, water, and sewer tanks. If the rental company has already "winterized" the vehicle, you can de-winterize it when you get to your destination, but then you'll have to re-winterize it before you return.

Second, a rented RV is going to be more expensive than getting in your car and staying in a motel and eating in restaurants. Not only do you have the rental cost upfront, you'll also probably need the linen and cooking packages, which will add to your bill, and then there's mileage. Add re-winterizing expense to that, if the rental company requires it (and they probably will), and that will add $100-200 to the cost. Then there's the gasoline -- those things gulp the fuel. Believe me, I've had RV's, and I love them, but they ARE costly. Period.

Donna

The most economical way would be to drive YOUR car, if you own one.

However, if you only have 5 days, you don't have time to make a round trip. Period. Bite the bullet and buy the plane tickets. Boston to NOLA is a 3 day drive - EACH WAY.

Default Driving really is NOT an option

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I have to agree with both Donna and GLC, you simply don't have enough time to drive there and back, and even if you did, an RV would really be an horrible idea.

At 1500 hundred miles from Boston to NOLA, two overnight stops each way are mandatory, no matter how many drivers you have. Trying to do it in any less time would put your entire family - as well as everyone else on the road - in an extreme amount of danger.

An RV would not be a money saver, and it would not be a time saver. Even in an RV, you need to be seated and belted in while driving down the road (so it's not like you can drive around the clock while having the other driver sleeping in bed), and an RV is a much slower moving vehicle. And anyway, by the time you factor in all the costs of renting an RV, plane tickets might actually be cheaper.

Air Travel isn't a lot of fun, and it isn't exactly cheap, but sometimes it really is the only way to realistically to make an important trip, and that's what you've got here. With the time you have, you really don't have any other options.

Default Other considerations.

Having established, as above, that driving is out of the question, consider this. Flying will mean you arrive in NOLA less tired as well as giving you more quality time with your father. To me that would be worth a lot more than the mere cost of tickets.

Lifey

Actually, when I read it, I inferred that they had 5 days one way to drive, not that this was a round trip that included the visit. I'm sorry if I read this incorrectly. I would definitely agree, that if there are only 5 days for the trip (both directions), you need to fly.

Donna

7. Default

This is awesome!Thank you. Awesome in that it helps me to clarify. Some one has offered to pay the airfare, also awesome, but hard to accept such an expensive gift. Good to hear that im nuts thanks. PS, forum work on a mobile is really difficult. :)

We're very happy to hear you've found a way to make this trip. And I don't think anyone thought you were nuts - considering all options and thinking outside the box is great, especially under the kind of stress you must be under - but it's also easy to underestimate the costs and challenges of a roadtrip if you don't have experience.

Forum work on a mobile is a lot easier if you're a dinosaur who insists on a qwerty when looking for a new phone!