1. Default NORFOLK to GREEN BAY advice

Hi there.

Could use some advice from experienced travelers of which is the best route to take from NORFOLK to GREEN BAY coming this friday, Dec 12th. I need to be in Green Bay by 4pm on Saturday.

This is purely a utilitarian move, no sight seeing.

I am in a Toyota 4Runner 4WD (with snow tires), by myself, towing a 16ft flatbed trailer with Ford Focus strapped on the trailer.

Just want the shortest route that minimizes WEATHER, TRAFFIC, and CONSTRUCTION.

I don't mind taking TOLL routes if it really saves time and congestion.

I used the google maps site and it gives me three options.

1) NORFOLK to DC to PITTSBURGH to TOLEDO to GARY
    2) NORFOLK to RICHMOND to COLUMBUS to GARY
    3) NORFOLK to RICHMOND to INDIANAPOLIS to GARY

So, I am seeking advice. Option 1, 2 and 3 and why.

Intuition tells me to take the southernmost route (#3) just to avoid cold and weather but one can never tell for sure when dealing with weather, obviously.

Thank you!!!
    Jason

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'll start by saying, you need to pray for good weather. When you factor in your towing, you are really pushing the limits of safety with this timeline. This is two very full days on the road, and if you hit any bad weather, any delays will make it nearly impossible to meet your timeline safely.

The route I think I would take would be I-64 to Charleston WV, US-35 to Dayton, I-70 to Indy, I-65 to Chicago, I-294 around Chicago, and then I-94/I-43 up to GB. I'm not sure if that's one of the options you've listed. I'd pick this over the slightly shorter route of using what you've listed as option 1, simply to avoid the potential traffic problems in DC. Considering you'll have to leave quite early to meet this schedule, it would seem you'd hit DC right at the peak of a Friday Morning Rush, which could lead to some major delays.

Of course, weather could trump traffic concerns... so watch the forecasts too. Taking a more southern route does very little to increase your odds of good weather.

The three "main" quick possibilities are all within 10-20 miles in total mileage for you, so you're not looking at much difference in miles or time. However, that said ...

Taking I-90/I-80 means you're skirting Lake Erie a lot more. That means you'll have "the lake effect" for weather as a major possibility. Since you're towing, you'll be hit harder with tolls, too, in OH and IN. You won't be able to avoid tolls completely, because I-294 and I-94 are both toll roads in the Chicago area.

Donna

Too bad you don't have a 3rd day to work with - if you did, you could take I-74 out of Indy to I-39 to I-43 and totally avoid Chicago and most tolls. However, the Chicago traffic shouldn't be too bad on a Saturday.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'll start by saying, you need to pray for good weather. When you factor in your towing, you are really pushing the limits of safety with this timeline. This is two very full days on the road, and if you hit any bad weather, any delays will make it nearly impossible to meet your timeline safely.

The route I think I would take would be I-64 to Charleston WV, US-35 to Dayton, I-70 to Indy, I-65 to Chicago, I-294 around Chicago, and then I-94/I-43 up to GB. I'm not sure if that's one of the options you've listed. I'd pick this over the slightly shorter route of using what you've listed as option 1, simply to avoid the potential traffic problems in DC. Considering you'll have to leave quite early to meet this schedule, it would seem you'd hit DC right at the peak of a Friday Morning Rush, which could lead to some major delays.

Of course, weather could trump traffic concerns... so watch the forecasts too. Taking a more southern route does very little to increase your odds of good weather.
    MM - Thank you for your welcoming words and for the sage advice. As a military guy stationed in that area before, I am well familiar with the disaster that is The Beltway. Done. Route 1 scratched. Also, got some good news - the landlord of the place we are transferring to in GB is working out a way to get us the key without having to be there by 4PM on Saturday. Now I just have to be there by noon on Sunday to meet my wife and kids at the GB airport. So, my chances improved greatly to make it there in one piece without having push the limits. So far the weather in GB is looking cloudy and in the 40s. Not too shabby. Again, I thank you for taking the time to give me those informed points to ponder. Just what I was looking for!

6. Default

Donna, so if I understand you right, you recommend traveling further away from the lake routes to avoid the 'lake effect' on weather. Point taken. Seen what that sucker can do to places like new york where one area gets 6 feet and another right next gets none. crazy. Thank you for taking the time to share that advice. Don't skirt the lake if possible, aye.

J

Lake Effect can be an issue, but it's also an issue that can easily be overstated - especially when you get situations like we saw around Buffalo a few weeks ago. It's something to be aware of, and it has the potential to cause some problems, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a reason to avoid driving near the lakes, especially for your upcoming trip, where the weather should be pretty clear in that part of the country.

Having said that, if I were you, I think I'd stick to the route I recommended - if for no other reason that it will save you a significant amount of money, as it avoids many of the tollways that can be very expensive if you are towing.

8. Default

Roger that. I am among the many that likes to save money. Thank you again for the help!

I'll let you all know how it went once I arrive.
    R/
    Jason