Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plano TX to San Diego CA

Planning our first road trip across states with the family from Plano to San Diego sometime before Christmas. Used Google maps and the quickest route seemed to be via I-20, I-10 then I-8 into San Diego. Noticed I-10 is pretty close to the border and through El Paso. Is that a pretty safe route or should I consider I-20, 82, I-10 then I-8? How about weatherwise, should I be worried about road issues around this time through this general area?

Thanks and I appreciate any feedback and or tips.

Fred

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are no safety concerns about I-10 going near the border at all. Weather could be an issue. Snow is fairly common through NM and Southeast AZ, and West Texas has been known to see some bad ice storms, so you should at least be keeping an eye on the forecasts.

This is a 1400 mile trip, so you need to plan for 2.5 days for a safe trip. If you leave in the morning, I'd plan to overnight in Van Horn, TX and again in either Casa Grande or Gila Bend, AZ.

Wow thanks so much for the quick reply and great tips. I truly appreciate it! :-)

We've made that journey more than once. A few things to note:

El Paso is just fine -- the traffic is not much fun, but city traffic rarely is! There are places along the way where you can see into Mexico, and frankly, it makes me really glad that I live in the USA.

Van Horn has a few places to stay. It's about 500 miles from Dallas. Two years ago, we stayed at the Ramada on a coupon. Coupons are relatively easy to find, if you pick up one of those hotel coupon books at a rest area or travel center (truck stop) along the way. Most of the motels/hotels are at exit 138. There's everything from a Motel 6 to a Hampton Inn.

Casa Grande -- you're best off staying just short of Casa Grande, at exit 203 (Toltec Rd) or exit 200 (Sunland Gin Rd). Your interchange for I-8 is exit 199. Your next option is to either use Trekell Rd (exit 174) to get into Casa Grande itself (2-4 mi off the highway), or if you want a more upscale option, use exit 172 (Thornton Rd) and follow the signs to the Francisco Grande (known to locals as the "Franny Granny"). (I learned to drive around that area.)

If you decide to proceed on to Gila Bend, you'll find either a Super 8 or an America's Best Value Inn at the Butterfield Trail exit #119. If that doesn't appeal, stay on that Trail into Gila Bend proper (I-10 Busn) where you would find a Best Western Space Age Lodge, a Travelodge, and some mom-and-pops. Not a lot of choice there.

Donna

Thanks Donna, appreciate the great tips, our first road trip in a long time. We were trying to push the drive with the wife and I swapping turns and still be safe. But good to know of some key areas where we can take a break if we have to. Happy Holidays!

Default if you have to?

Please don't tell us that by "pushing the drive" you are trying to do this without stopping, or even with just one overnight stop. Doing so is extremely dangerous, and taking turns does not help all that much. When you're traveling long distances, both people should be awake during the trip.

The suggested stopping points are really maximum distances you should be traveling - especially because of the long distances between potential places to stop. There are reasons that professional drivers are forbidden from trying to make this trip in even 2 days.

Your safety and the safety of everyone else on the road is not worth the risk.

Default Forget about computer generated travel times.

As above ! Trying to push too hard is extremely risky and many accidents and deaths occur from doing so. Many people do it and get away with it, but that's not really any different to a drunk driver who gets away with it, it's not wise and it's unsafe for everyone on the road and that's including your family. That's highlighted by the fact you say it's yor first long haul road trip. Don't be miss led by drive times thrown out of a computer program. They often assume you can travel at the speed limit with no stops for fuel, food or rest and that's just not possible in the real world over such a distance. With said stops and allowing for possible traffic congestion and construction zones you will do well to average 600 miles over a 10-11 hour day on the road.

Stay safe !

Thank so much - Midwest Michael and Southwest Dave, I will heed the advice of the experienced road warriors! Safety is important to me as well and I would like to enjoy Christmas in San Diego!

Best regards and Happy Holidays!

Any suggestions for decent/safe rest stops that we can stop to take a short nap/rest up along my projected route? Trying to avoid having to pay for a room if we can. Maybe halfway we plan on getting a room.

You NEED to make overnight stops in Van Horn and Casa Grande. You shouldn't have a problem finding inexpensive rooms in either place.

I have personally stayed at the Super 8 in Van Horn and the Travelodge in Eloy, both are acceptable and fairly cheap.

Winter is NOT the time to try to stretch this to only 2 days.