Granada Hills, California, United States

Default 18 day road trip: San Fernando ,ca. to Yellowstone NP summer of 2015

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to your site and I'm hoping for some good advice on this road trip with my two 13 year twins( boy and girl) and wife.
    We will take about about 3-4 days of traveling to and from while towing a 5th wheel w/ 10 days at fishing bridge RV camp at Yellow Stone. Any suggestions on places to camp along the way and cool sites to definitely see. Any options on changing the route on the way home and seeing other sites on the way back. Maybe shortening the time to get their and adding more time on the way back. Any suggestions would be great. I am a member with triple A, but i feel I might get some real travel adventure insights with people who have made the trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 12-01-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: removed bold font from entire post

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

Fastest way is I-15 to Idaho Falls, then US-20 to the west entrance. This can conceivably be done in 2 long days, the halfway point is Fillmore, UT which appears to have a couple RV parks. If you can allow more days for the return trip, there are numerous places to go and things to see.

If you are a member of AAA, you need to stop by an office and get maps of the states you will be traveling through. They will help you immensely to find places of interest.

South of England.

Default Options each way.

On the way up you could take US93 from Vegas up through the Great Basin. Cathedral Gorge State park, Great Basin NP, Perrine bridge and Snake river canyon in Twin Falls, Shoshone falls and Craters of the Moon are a few attractions you could stop at, maybe even a detour to Bonneville Salt flats raceway. You would be better off to leave the 5th wheel at the campground if you were to visit Shoshone falls as it's a windy road and the same if you wanted to drive up to Wheeler peak in Great basin NP. On the return journey you could head south and spend time in the Grand Tetons and take US191 to Flaming Gorge Res from where you could drop into Southern Utah and choices such as Bryce canyon and Zion NP. Of course you wouldn't have time for it all unless you extended your travel time but it gives you a place to start.

Make sure you book your Yellowstone site as soon as the booking window opens as it is very popular and sites sell out quickly.