1. Default Trip in Sept 2015 California to Grand Canyon

Hi
    We are travelling to the USA in Sept 2015 and plan on ticking the following items off our family bucket list:
    Arrive LAX then driving
    Disneyland
    Universal Studios
    Drive Nth to San Francisco
    Yosemite
    Grand Canyon
    Any other notable sites in the area Bryce Canyon Death Valley ??
    Fly out of Las Vegas (or other) to a city in the south
    Have allowed around 11 days for road trip
    Would appreciate any ideas, tips that you guys can give. Been 30 years since I was in those parts.

Default A popular route.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

First thing which comes to mind is are you able to reverse your trip? so that you can drive the Pacific Coast Highway from North to South. It is a more enjoyable way to experience this great drive, not having to cross over oncoming traffic going into and out of each of the view points and overlooks.

How about LA - Grand Canyon - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Francisco - LA. You could include Hoover Dam, between GC and LV on to DV. It is definitely worth including Death Valley, even though it will be very hot. It is an amazing landscape just to see from the car, with short spells out of the car. Be sure to take sunscreen hats and lots of water.

When I was in DV the first time I left the car engine and air conditioner running for the few minutes I was out of the car at the main view points.

Lifey

3. Default

Thanks Lifey. Down here in Oz we drive on the other side of the road!! Will do some more research.
    Cheers

Default Don't let it worry you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit 25 View Post
    Thanks Lifey. Down here in Oz we drive on the other side of the road!!
    Driving in the US is very different to driving at home. The other side of the road takes little to get used to.

A couple of things I have found useful..... bring a small flag (mine is about 8" x 12") to put in the rear window of your vehicle to let the locals know you are not a local. Hopefully they will forgive any minor traffic indiscretion. The other is, bring your automobile club membership (RACV, NRMA, etc.) with you. It will give you access to free maps and tourism information from the AAA. Be sure to pick up maps of each State you plan to travel, and the major urban centres - LA. SF, LV - while in LA. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your electronics.

If you are planning to stay within the NPs, be aware that you need to book the accommodation months in advance. It is very popular, and books up almost as soon as the booking window opens.

BTW. why are you looking at flying south out of LV?

Lifey

Default Shack-up Inn

Fly out of Las Vegas (or other) to a city in the south
    Will you be doing another road trip in some of the southern states or -- how long will you be in the south?

One place you might enjoy would be the Shack-up Inn in Clarksdale, Mississippi.

Mark

Default Do you have a Top Five list of things you are seeking?

Any other notable sites in the area Bryce Canyon Death Valley ??.
    Bandit, Yes. In round numbers there are probably 100+ "notable" sights between Bryce Canyon and Death Valley. Maybe you could share with us -- what you consider notable....? Do you like shopping for unique finds? Native American cultural sites, other national parks, hiking, boating, photography? I could write hundreds of articles about the places in between these two locations. What sorts of things most interest you?

Mark

7. Default

Thanks for the replies! Flying to New Orleans for business for only a few days. and then back out to Oz. Have driven in the U.S before and spent a month driving in Italy, France last Christmas so should be used to that side.
    Things we would be interested in is great scenery and small hikes to interesting places. We love long hikes but want to squeeze in as much as we can.

As mentioned, this trip would suit a loop perfectly, going from LA to the GC to Vegas to Death valley to Yosemite to San Fran and then a couple of days down the scenic coast highway around Big Sur back to LA. If your 11 days does not include time spent in LA then it would be possible to travel into Utah from the Grand canyon to Zion NP with possible detours to Monument valley and Bryce canyon on route, then head south to Vegas on I15.