1. Default Moving from New Mexico to Oregon

My girlfriend and I are about to embark on the next phase of our lives together; we're about to be moving from New Mexico to Oregon. I'm interviewing for a job in Bend tomorrow, and I'm pretty optimistic. Assuming I get the job, the plan is to have movers move our furniture, and then we'll put her car (07 cobalt) on a trailer and haul it to Oregon with my 2013 F-150 Supercrew ecoboost. Being that neither of us has made that drive before, should I be concerned with making the trip in a two wheel drive pickup, particularly with a trailer? From Albuquerque we plan to go north to Farmington, stop by four corners, then on up to Salt lake city for day one. Day two, we'll drive salt lake city up through Ogden, across Idaho, and on in to Bend. We'll be sticking to major highways/interstates as much as possible, and we're planning 12 to 14 hour days both days (weather permitting). Anything we should look out for? Is this a bad/dangerous idea? We're planning to leave within a day or two of Christmas.

Edit: Tentative plans are as follows

US550 -- NM64 -- US491 -- US191 -- US6 -- I15 -- I84 -- US26 -- US20

--OR --

I40 -- CA58 -- CA99 -- I5 -- US97

We're open to more suggestions.
    Last edited by NewMexico_Josh; 11-25-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Welcome to RTA!

It's impossible to forecast the weather and road conditions this far in advance, but I will tell you that you should not try to do this drive in 2 days. You really need 3 days (or more if the weather and roads are bad) to do it safely, especially being that a significant portion of the drive is going to be on non-Interstate highways.

If the weather is bad when you are ready to leave you may want to look at the Interstate option, even though it adds 250 miles. That would be I-40 to Barstow, CA-58 to Bakersfield, then CA-99 crossing over to I-5 somewhere between Bakersfield and Sacramento, then I-5 to US-97. If you are towing with a RWD truck, I would get off the road if it's snow and/or ice covered. I know the F-150 has a good e-locker and traction control, but it would still be a handful to control safely. Worst case, if the forecast is just terrible forego the trailer and convoy the 2 vehicles.

3. Default

Thanks GLC.

I wasn't looking for a weather forecast; obviously that would be impossible. I just wondered what people thought of the trip as a whole.

We're not going to get in a huge hurry, and if we need to stop, or take longer to make the trip, that's definitely what we'll do. Safety (for us and the others on the road) is our priority. Do you think the roads would be significantly better going the route you described? Although I'm confident in my abilities, and not afraid to drive in the snow, 250 miles isn't a problem for me if we'd be unsafe going the other route.

As mentioned you should really decide a day or 2 prior to leaving when you have updated forecasts to hand as it's quite possible that the other suggested route will see worse weather than the one you have chosen. Who knows ? You should have no problem finding lodgings without the need to book so you can leave it to the last minute really. It would be a real long 2 days on the road, especially given that you are towing and you really wouldn't have time to detour to Four corners. If you can spare an extra day, or even half day it would make it more relaxed and enjoyable. I wouldn't add those extra miles unless absolutely neccesary.

I have to agree that you really need to plan for 2 overnight stops, with safety in mind. Even on the more direct route through Utah, It would be back to back days of nearly 650 miles, while towing, and driving mostly on 2 lane roads, and that is really too much to be safe. You are looking at close to 14 hours each day, but those are going to be very stressful hours because of the towing and terrain, and a professional driver would actually prohibited from attempting such a drive. 2.5 days for this trip is much, much safer.

As an aside, please stop using the edit feature to change the details of your original post. It's actually considered quite rude, and it also means that many people will not even notice the new information you're putting there, making it less likely you'll get the responses you are looking for. Simply respond with a new post as you make changes and get more ideas.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    As mentioned you should really decide a day or 2 prior to leaving when you have updated forecasts to hand as it's quite possible that the other suggested route will see worse weather than the one you have chosen. Who knows ? You should have no problem finding lodgings without the need to book so you can leave it to the last minute really. It would be a real long 2 days on the road, especially given that you are towing and you really wouldn't have time to detour to Four corners. If you can spare an extra day, or even half day it would make it more relaxed and enjoyable. I wouldn't add those extra miles unless absolutely neccesary.
    Thanks Southwest Dave, after the suggestions on here, and talking with the gf last night, we're going to make it a three day trip. We're not in any big rush to get there really, and safety is definitely our prerogative.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I have to agree that you really need to plan for 2 overnight stops, with safety in mind. Even on the more direct route through Utah, It would be back to back days of nearly 650 miles, while towing, and driving mostly on 2 lane roads, and that is really too much to be safe. You are looking at close to 14 hours each day, but those are going to be very stressful hours because of the towing and terrain, and a professional driver would actually prohibited from attempting such a drive. 2.5 days for this trip is much, much safer.

As an aside, please stop using the edit feature to change the details of your original post. It's actually considered quite rude, and it also means that many people will not even notice the new information you're putting there, making it less likely you'll get the responses you are looking for. Simply respond with a new post as you make changes and get more ideas.
    Thanks Midwest Michael. As I mentioned in my reply to Southwest Dave, we've decided to extend it to a three day trip. Safety is more important to us; not only for our safety, but also for the other people on the road.

Also, sorry about the edits. I wasn't intentionally being rude; just thought it would be helpful to add relevant information to the main post for people who were just joining in.

I think we'll do as the others have suggested and check the weather the morning we leave and base our decision on that information. If the weather is supposed to be nice, and there haven't been any big storms for a few days prior, we'll probably go the more direct route, but it will all depend on weather at the time we're planning to head out.

If you are to use the full 3 days and want to stop at Four corners on day 1, then 2 good overnight stops on the direct route would be Moab UT and Twin Falls ID.