It's a pleasure to be here and a privilege to receive advice from you all! I'm live in the UK and am looking to have my once-in-a-lifetime experience hitting the roads of the USA in Summer 2015. As I hardly get to visit the USA, I want to try and get in as much as possible so am electing to pursue the idea of going on an epic coast-to-coast trip:
Starting (or ending) in New York City and ending (or starting) in Los Angeles! Along the way I would like to visit Gettysburg PA, Nashville TN, New Orleans LA, Dallas TX and Las Vegas NV and the Grand Canyon. ANY and ALL recommendations for stop offs, 'must-sees' or worthwhile detours to experience American culture along this basic outline would be very welcome at this stage!
As the plans are in embryonic stages, I have no idea about the best way to plan this. So I'll start by asking some basic questions (as well as being grateful for any suggestions as to the above route) and I will be grateful for any responses.
1) Is this route 'do-able' within 3 weeks?
2) If I am flying to one end of the nation, driving a rented car to the other end, and flying back to the UK from there, how does car rental work?
3) What kind of cost in petrol (gas!) would I be looking at in an economical car?
4) In your experiences, what kind of overall cost would I be looking at (given the stop offs)
5) Do you have any planning tips that you found particularly useful/any mistakes you have made that you wouldn't repeat again?
I know that many of the answers to these questions will be subjective to different variables ie. what hotels I stay in/what kind of car I get/how fast and far I drive a day. I'm just after your own experiences and recommendations, really!
Many thanks!!! Great to have the opportunity to ask you all these questions!