1. Default California - holiday vacation

We are a family of 4. Two children ages 14 & 11. We plan to fly in to LA and rent a car. We'd like to do as much sightseeing as possible over 8 days. Not sure if we should head toward San Francisco or San Diego. We of course want to see LA too. Any advice/suggestions?

2. Default

By the way we are going over holiday break in December.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Honestly, without a better idea of what you are hoping to get out of the trip, there isn't a lot of help anyone else can provide. There are great things to see and do in every direction from LA, and if you spend a little time looking around this site, you can find lots and lots of idea. But for any forum like this to be much help in providing personalized help, you have to figure out the basics first.

South of England.

Default Plan with the family.

As Michael mentioned, it's all about the details. If you intend to spend multiple days in LA and visiting Theme parks etc then it will impact what you can achieve on the road which in turn will help whether to choose SD, SF or both. Personally I love SF and you could drive north on I5 in a day, spend a day or 2 in SF and then head south on the beautiful coast highway through Monterey, Big Sur and Cambria etc while enjoying coastal views [an advantage of driving south on the coast is that the Ocean will be on your side of the road] and State parks, towns and perhaps Hearst Castle. You should plan for at least 2 days for the drive, 3 would be more relaxed. Inland you have the National parks of Sequoia and Yosemite. Both are amazing but situated in the Sierra Nevada means a real risk of seeing ice and snow and possibly needing to use snow chains.

Do a little research and include the whole family in the planning. If they all have input you will all have a more rewarding and fun time. Once you have those basics we can help to 'Fine tune' your trip and offer suggestions.