1. Default March road trip NYC to NYC via Niagara Falls

Hi, my husband and I are planning a road trip in March 2015 from NYC through Pennsylvania, Niagara Falls, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and back to NYC. We have about 10 days. Is this feasible? What about the weather? Are attractions shut at this time of year? We're from Sydney, Australia so not really used to this kind of climate.
    Any advice welcome. Thanks

Default Before the season.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Much depends on the severity of the winter.

Niagara Falls will still be closed. However, the visitor centre on Goat Island (a nice walk) is open all year round. The falls will be running as usual, they rarely freeze completely. I have to say there is something spectacular seeing the falls all snow covered and large chuncks of ice flowing down the river. The Maid of the Mist boat tour will not be operating, nor will the tours behind the falls, but if you want to see the falls, it will still be very worthwhile.

The really good part is at that time of the year traffic is nowhere near as chaotic as it is during the summer and parking is easy to find. The walking paths are kept clear of snow.

That is what it was like in April 2007.

Lifey

Default April 2007

I knew I had some photos of it... took a while to find them.

Above the Falls

Snow at the Falls

Below the Falls

Lifey

4. Default Either South or desert States

hi. My husband and I have about twelve days to drive either from NYC South to Tennessee etc or from LA East into Montana etc. we will be travelling late March 2015. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We were planning north from NYC but realise now it's probably too cold for us and many places are shut. Thanks.

Mod note. Please keep all questions about your March trip in this one thread. Thank you.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-16-2014 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Merged

Default Base it on your interests.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I'm not sure if thats a typo, but Montana is a long ways north from LA, but you could explore AZ and some neighbouring states, it really is your decision to make based on your tastes and which appeals to them the most. I'm presuming you didn't mean WA as you mentioned 'desert states'. Will these be one way trips or an out and back journeys ? Once you have decided what works for you, we can certainly help with the planning. Take a look around the forums and road trip planning pages above to help you decide.

Default Mountans equals cold in March.

I agree with Dave, what is it that interests you most?

If you are not too keen on the cold, then maybe NYC to TN won't be to your liking either. It will still be winter weather in many of the places along the way. Driving from MO to MA end of March, early April this year the weather was very cold. The roads were clear, but there was still a lot of snow around in parking lots at hotels and restaurants.

On the other hand, heading east out of LA into AZ March will be before the desert really heats up. Places to think about are Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and the National Parks of southern Utah, as well as Death Valley. Or you could head up to San Francisco, and drive the Pacific Coast Highway back to LA. Yosemite too will be still quite cold. In fact anywhere where you will be in the mountains you are still likely to strike winter weather. [Think Sydney to the Snowy Mountains in September.]

Lifey