Default Summer Road Trip Maryland - Glacier NP

Planning a road trip with 3 kids (14/10/9) to Glacier NP. I will be camping with a pop up camper. I plan on taking my time getting there, at least 17 days to get out there. I plan on spending a week at Glacier. From Glacier I was going to drive south and spend time in the National Forests and Parks of Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah. Then I was going to relax at Lake Havasu/Mead for a week before heading back east along Route 66/40.

Does anyone have any ideas of the roads out of Glacier (93) or C'ouer d'Alene (95) and pulling a camper?

Does this trip sound like too much?
    I will be taking my time and not rushing. Leaving the week of June 21 and don't have to be back until August 22.

Any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.

Brigid and the gang.

South of England.

Default I'm jealous. [haha]

Hello and welcome back to the RTA forums !

I don't think you will have a problem with either road, but US93 is no problem. Your trip sounds positively relaxed and a lot of fun for the family, most of us would give anything for such time on the road.

I would look around the forums and road trip planning pages above where you will find stacks of ideas and then if you have any specific questions just ask them here. The one thing I would say is that if you want to camp inside the National parks [highly recommended] then you should book well in advance.

Default Us 93

Brigid and gang,

I've had the pleasure of driving all of US 93 from Glacier to Wells, NV, excepting a short segment from Twin Falls to Arco, ID. It's a great route.

There is one major pass along the way: Lost Trail Pass south of Missoula, at the MT-ID state line. The run-up on each side is just a few miles, there are slow vehicle/truck lanes on both sides, and there are no crazy switchbacks.

Down below Challis, ID, is Craters of the Moon NP near Arco. Quite the change in views and climate from Glacier to Craters, especially in July/August.

The drive from Twin Falls to Wells, NV is pretty neat. Just one town, Jackpot, NV along the way, and from Jackpot to Wells is high desert with the snowcapped Jarbidge Mountains off to the west.

Look carefully to suggestions related to soft sided pop-ups in Yellowstone, Glacier, and generally in grizzly country. You at the very least want to heed advice concerning not cooking or storing food inside the unit.

Have fun planning and taking your summer RoadTrip!