Default San Antonio to Corpus Christi and Coastal Bend

The wife and I recently flew to San Antonio, rented a car and toured the area and then down to Corpus Christi and the Coastal Bend. I highly recommend everyone visit San Antonio and, if possible stay at a Riverwalk Hotel. We spent four nights at the Palacio Del Rio. It's a terrific place to stay since the back doors front the Riverwalk. Here's a view from the balcony.

The hotel was just around the corner from the amphitheater where they were staging the "International Accordian Festival" when we visited. It was a lot of fun and very entertaining to watch groups from Mexico, Nova Scotia, Finland and particularly the very eclectic group from Austin (Blue Squeezebox?).

We are rollercoaster fans and while in SA, toured Six Flags Fiesta TX, which was a lot of fun. We were a little disappointed that some rides weren't operating. Also went to Sea World. Was surprised that Sea World has two really good rollercoaters!

We also ventured north up toward New Braunfels and went to natural Bridge Caverns. We were quite impressed with the caverns and the tour guide, a very knowledgeable young man. We've been to several of these tours and this was by far the most interesting.

We then traveled out thru the Hill Country; Blanco, Johnson City, Fredericksburg & Kerrville. A nice drive thru some pretty country.

After four nights in SA, we headed southeast to Corpus Christi via Kennedy and Goliad. In Goliad we stopped at the historic Mission and Presidio.
    I think there's a limit of 5 photo attachments. I'm not sure how to add pages, so I'll label the posts 1, 2 etc.

Post No. 2-Continuing our trip to SE Texas.

We drove on to Corpus Christi and out to North Padre Island where we stayed at the Holiday Inn on the beach. It's a nice place to stay-and here you can drive right on the beach! We enjoyed swimming in the Gulf the first afternoon. But the second day the algae was too thick and smelly-we stayed out of the water.

We did visit the TX Aquarium which is excellent as was the retire Aircraft Carrier USS Lexington.

Also, rode the (free) ferry across from Aransas Pass to Port Aransas. Had a cold beer at an fun outdoor bar in PA. Then headed up the coast thru Port Lavaca to Galveston Island. Spent a rainy night in Galveston. Ate a great meal at the Italian Restaurant at the San Luis resort. From there headed up to Sugarland and then west via Highway 90 back toward SA. Stopped at Shiner at the Spoetzl Brewery. Took the tour-tasted the Shiner Bock-it's great!

I highly recommend visiting this part of Texas. The landscape is quite varied from the drier Hill Country to the greener coast. San Antonio is beautiful. Spend a few days on the Riverwalk if you can! I wish we'd had more time to stay in Galveston. Next time we do we'll make it a point to stay at the San Luis Resort-it's very nice.

Edit: Oops -- New software issue.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-07-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Thanks for sharing your experience. You may find it easier to post pictures by using RTA's Photo Sharing service.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Tips for loading your photos!

Thanks for sharing your road trip experience. It does make it easier if your break up your road trip report into segments -- Daily works best -- Easier to upload your images and much easier for your readers to see your posts -- especially if they are logging on from mobile devices.

Here is a thread the discusses the various ways you can add photos to your Field Trip Reports. We have two photo sharing programs here on RTA. One is built-into your forum account and the second one is called RTA PhotoShare -- it is also built into your RTA account.