1. Default Summer 2015 family trip east coast

We are a family of seven and want to travel from Washington dc to new York. We'll be arriving on airplane to Washington and leaving from new York. It will be a 1/2 week trip. What can we see in that time frame??? to make the best of our time. We are planning to rent a car and are traveling with three kids (14-10).

2. Default

We will be spending 1 and 1/2 week....

Western/Central Massachusetts

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Washington DC to New York City is about a four-hour drive (traffic permitting) so you have plenty of time to wander about the countryside and see the many sights available to you within that area. What kinds of things do you and your family enjoy doing? What brings you to Washington, DC?

One of my favorite areas of the country is the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, which is not too far away from Washington, DC and offers a lot of great sights. The mountains and the valleys are full of great areas to visit. If you are interested in US history, this area also offers a lot as it was heavily trodden during the Civil War, and also was the home to many US Presidents.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Cities where you won't want a car.

Be sure not to pick up the car till you are ready to leave DC, and drop it off before you get to NYC. Both cities have excellent public transport. Parking in both cities is very difficul and expensive when you do find a spot.

Echoing what Lifey said, in NYC we have a robust subway system, so you definitely want to get rid of the car upon arrival. We recently spent 4 days down in DC and actually took Amtrak there and back, no need for a car in either place. Not sure if you want to see things along the way or just get from DC to NYC, but if the latter is your preference, you may not need a car at all!

Tucson, AZ

Default A Large but Wonderful Dogleg

The thing is, with a week or so to get from Washington DC to New York City, you have plenty of time to wander off the direct I-95/New Jersey Turnpike route. You could easily combine two of my favorite scenic/historic routes in that area of the country by going first from Washington to Niagara Falls and then from Niagara Falls to NYC.

Would you guys recommend leaving the car at say Newark airport and getting into the city by train? Guess that way it's easy to find and navigate back to after some time in NYC?

Southern California

Definitely, do NOT drive into NYC. The parking situation is horrible, and very expensive. It's much cheaper to find a place to park on the NJ side and either take the train or the bus into the city. It will usually drop you at the Port Authority, then you have the options of walking, taking the subway, taking buses, or taxis to get you around the city.

My brother lives in NJ and occasionally has to go into "the city" for business reasons. He leaves his car (free) at the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, NJ, and takes the bus into the Port Authority. He said he liked it better than taking the train from Newart or even from out at his town, Stanhope. The bus was an express bus. If you can, try not to ride the bus OR train between 6 am and 9 am, or between 3 pm and 6 pm. That is the height of rush hour and either will be filled. We caught a bus with him at 10 am and it was still busy, but not SRO. We then waited until after 6 pm, catching a drink at a pub he liked, to catch the bus back. Once again, a full bus but not SRO.

If it were me, I'd stay at a hotel/motel on the NJ side that was close to a bus station (like the mall in Wayne) and go into the city each day that way. Lots less expensive, in the long run!

Definitely doable in 1 1/2 others have said, I'd skip the idea of renting a car in DC and dropping off in NYC - not only is it expensive to do a drop off like that, there really isn't a reason to have a car in NYC (and in DC or NY you can rent selectively if you want, when you need one with ZIPcar that rents by the hour as needed)

The train from DC to NY can be between 2.5 to 3.5 hours (accela is fastest, but more expensive than the regional train) - both of those options are significantly less than driving yourself and you don't have the traffic snarls to deal with or timing for rush hours.

If you do the train, I'd absolutely say stay in NYC - nothing beats it for the experience of being there and also the convenience.