Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Dallas to Anchorage in January?

I am going to be moving to Anchorage this January and am looking for advise on the best route, from Dallas, TX. I will be taking a 4X4 Pickup Truck which may make a difference in the route choice. I desperately looking for credible advise from someone who has made this trip in the winter months.

Welcome to RTA!

January is going to be ROUGH. The obvious choice is the Alaska Highway but that can be a miserable drive in the winter. Very little in the way of services and lodging will be open. Order a copy of The Milepost now.

If you decide to do it, read FAQ's #9 and 10.

Another option is to take the ferry from Bellingham WA to Whittier AK. It's a fairly easy 60 mile drive to Anchorage from there.

Tip: To check schedules and make reservations, you have to split this up into 2 segments - Bellingham to Juneau, then Juneau to Whittier. It looks like the fare for you and the truck is going to be in the $2000 range, add about $600 for each passenger, cabins are additional.

Do you need route recommendations from Dallas to the beginning of the Alaska Highway, or to Bellingham?

I would agree with GLC, I would strongly consider looking at the Ferry for a trip at this time of year. It isn't necessarily cheap, but I think you'll find it to be much easier.

If you are going to drive the whole way, the Milepost is really your first step to prepare for the trip. 4 Wheel Drive will help, but that's not enough. I'd make sure you have a set of winter tires (not all-seasons), a complete winter survival kit, and I'd avoid driving at night, which could make for a long trip, considering the very limited amount of daylight at that time of year.

4. Default

thank you for your advise. Yes I would like route recommendations from Dallas to the beginning of the Alaska Highway.

Now would be the time to install a block heater if the truck didn't come with one. I'd also consider getting tire chains for all 4 wheels just in case.

Yes, it will be a long trip if you drive all the way. It's 4000 miles and will take at least 10 days if conditions permit. The speed limit on the Alaska Highway is 50 mph, but I doubt you will safely be able to drive that fast in January. If you drive to Bellingham, that's at least 4 days.

Okay - from DFW, take US-287 to Amarillo and Dumas, then US-87 to Clayton and US-64 to Raton. Take I-25 to I-90 to Billings, then US-87 to Great Falls. Take I-15 to the border, then AB-4 to Lethbridge, AB-3 to Fort Macleod, AB-2 to Edmonton, AB-16 to AB-43 to BC-2 to Dawson Creek, which is the beginning of the Alaska Highway (BC-97). Stay on that (BC-97, Yukon-1, AK-2) to Tok Junction and take AK-1 to Anchorage.

The ferry is probably going to be your very best choice. Having driven this route some half dozen times, albeit, not in Jan, I could not imagine some of those narrow winding mountain roads in winter. Many of the mountain roads do not have guard rails. The further north you go the more the roads deteriorate. Add to that the limited services in Jan and very little choice in accommodation.

I can't imagine it being a very enjoyable trip.

Lifey

I've read this thread aloud to my husband, who has an occasional sense of adventure. He commented that the ferry sounds like a good idea, but that the AK Highway has to be kept open to get the commercial traffic through to/from Alaska. One comment we heard when we were driving the Highway (14 years ago) was that Winter on the highway was "truckers and an occasional family moving from the Lower 48 to AK" (often a military move). He said if it was us, he'd probably drive the Highway.

Donna

8. Default

Thanks to all for the advise. I was thinking about driving to Skagway or Prince Rupert and taking the ferry from there. If I did that what would be the best route, across Canada midsection or through Seattle along the coast? I hesitate taking the ferry all the way because I will be traveling with a dog and don't like the idea of having her locked up in the truck for the length of time the trip takes.

You can't get to Skagway or Prince Rupert driving along the coast, and if you are going to drive to Skagway you might as well just drive the whole way.

If you are traveling with a dog, just drive it all the way and invest in some winter survival gear.

Default The Alaska Highway it is then...

The road to Skagway is quite challenging, over the mountains. In 2012 it snowed on the pass in late June. The road to Prince Rupert is an easy drive from Prince George.

I would have to agree, if you are prepared to drive to Skagway, you may as well drive all the way. You will have passed the worst of it by then. Leave yourself lots of time to be able to get off the road when things get bad. Your only option is the Alaska Highway. Make sure you have a copy of The Milepost.

Lifey