1. Default New York, Niagra Falls, Bannf National Park, Yellowstone, Rockies and San Diego

My wife and I and our 18 year old daughter are planning to fly from the UK to New York at the end of June 2015. We are planning on staying there for a few days before going to Toronto (not sure if I should drive or fly?) We are then planning on flying to Calgary and will then head to Banff National Park (tour around there for a few days) and then head towards Montana and eventually Yellowstone. I'm not sure what route to take from here ....we eventually want to get to Antelope Canyon, Canyonlands National Park and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. From here we will head to L/A and San Diego. We have three and a half weeks to do this. I reallise that there will be lots of driving involved although I would appreciate some advice on routes or alternatives?

Tucson, AZ

Default At Least One Internal Flight is in Order

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Trying to do everything you've listed during a three and a half week RoadTrip would almost certainly prove to be too much. You'd need to drive a minimum of nine to ten days. Add in a 'few days' each in New York City and Banff, and then even a day or two in each of your other destinations and you're time gets used up pretty fast. It's possible, but it would be more hectic than fun.

The biggest place to save on those miles is, as you noted, between (roughly) Toronto and Calgary. However, flying between those two cities would present you with a problem, a potentially very expensive one. In both cases you'd be renting a car in one country and dropping it off in another. I realize this is not that big a problem in the European Union, but it is a fairly big deal in North America with only three relatively large, and economically separate, countries.

It's not the driving into another country that's the problem, although you will need to make sure that the car hire company knows that you're going to do this and that they give you the proper insurance card(s) for both countries. It's the leaving of a car registered in one country in another country where they may not even be able to rent it, but have to return it to its point of origin. That's what will drive the one-way drop-off fee to stratospheric levels.

So, how to get around this. The easiest way is to do all your car hire business in the US. Pick up the first car in New York City only after you've seen that city and are ready to leave. A car in the city is simply a waste. Parking is nearly impossible to find and even if you just leave it in your hotel car park, it will cost a bundle. Drive to Niagara Falls and Toronto, but then cross back into the US to catch your flight to the west. Flights from Buffalo to Seattle can be had relatively cheaply if you book them about six to twelve before you need them. Cleveland and Detroit are other possibilities. And the drive from Seattle to Banff is scenic in its own right.

There is a ton of other advice we can give you about routes and attractions on both sections of your RoadTrip, but it would help to know what you're interested in and what kind of pace you'd like to maintain.

3. Default

Hi AZ Buck,

Many thanks for your comments. As for the car hire stuff, I have heard that this may happen with extra charges. I have looked at other options and the possibility of doing a couple of internal flights? I thought that we could fly from Toronto to Calgary and do Banff etc and then fly to Vegas. We could then work our way through the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Salt Lake City, Yellowstone and then return to Salt Lake and get a flight to somewhere on the West Coast (San Francisco or L/A) and end up in San Diego? I think there are lots of variations with internal flights and these could also save lots of time. I have looked into it and from Toronto to Vegas is around $150 per person which I think is reasonable (considering the distance involved). Another possibilty is not doing Banff and headingn from New York through Virginia, Nashville, Memphis, and towards New Orleans and then fly somewhere near Yellowstone and head South? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Green County, Wisconsin

I'll say this, generally speaking, the fewer flights you can take, and the fewer rental car changes you can have, the cheaper your trip will be. You will also save money, especially on rental car expenses, if you avoid one way drop offs.

So with that in mind, if you were to fly to Vegas, it would be much, much cheaper just to do one big loop roadtrip of the West , including Utah, Yellowstone, and California - and then finish back up in Vegas. A one way car rental from Vegas to Salt Lake City, plus a flight to California, plus another rental car in California would likely cost you significantly more money.

Melbourne, Australia

Default One more destination.

I hope your plans include Jasper - you can't go all that way and not drive and explore the Icefields Parkway.