1. Default Washington to Utah in the winter

Hello, I am hoping to travel from Seattle Washington to SLC ut over Christmas break. I am new to Washington and have been told the drive can be very scary. Has anyone ever made this trip and if so any alt. routes you could recommend or tips.

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

The only main concern is Snoqualmie Pass. The fastest route uses it - I-90 to I-82 to I-84. If the weather is bad on the pass, you can simply take I-5 to Portland then I-84. Taking the pass, it's about a day and half drive, plan on an overnight around Mountain Home, ID if you get an early morning start. If you leave later, you need to get as far as Pendleton, OR in order to make SLC the next day.

Going via Portland adds 110 miles and about 2 hours. Overnights will adjust to Ontario, OR for an early start, and Pendleton once again for a later start - but you have to get out before noon in order to make it to SLC the next day.

Check ahead for road conditions. Chains can be required over Snoqualmie Pass. I-84 across Eastern Oregon can often have snow on it also. A famous stretch called "Cabbage Patch" will also require chains at times. At the very least you should invest in a set of good winter tires.