Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Northern California to Southern California on CA-1 - 10 hours

Driving from Northern California to Southern California on CA-1. Only will have about 10 to 10.5 hours -- the drive is for a reason, but going to make as much as I can out of it. Planning lunch in Pebble Beach around noon, see Lone Cypress, brief stop to look at Bixby Bridge. Continue down CA-1 all the way. Expecting to hit LA by 9-10pm.

I know there's not a lot of time built in there. If you could add 1-2 more quick stops along the way down, where would it be?
    Last edited by HoyaDub; 10-15-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo

It's CA-1, not US-1.

Where will you be starting from and think you can drive it in 10 hours? I don't think you can even make it from Pebble Beach to LA in 10 hours on the PCH.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Where will you be starting from and think you can drive it in 10 hours? I don't think you can even make it from Pebble Beach to LA in 10 hours on the PCH.
    starting an hour outside pebble beach.

Google claims 6h40m. I thought that was highly optimistic, but do you think it's more than 3-4 hours off? http://goo.gl/CK9phO

Default It Could Easily Be Off by a Lot More

Here's the thing. You can quickly see that Google expects you to be able to cover the 350 or so miles in less than 7 hours. So it assumes that you'll be able to average better than 50 mph. And that's before any detours to see bridges or seaside parks or anything else. Now think about what that means. Google has to be assuming that you can drive at or above the speed limit for the entire drive. Parts of CA-1 are tourist-clogged two lane roads. Google makes now allowance for the fact that you will be sharing the road with RVs, trucks, and rubberneckers. It simply assumes that you can drive at or above the speed limit all the time. Parts of CA-1 go through rather large towns with stop signs and traffic lights. Google makes no allowance for them. It simply assumes that you can drive at or above the speed limit all the time. You plan to arrive in the L.A. area (which in your case starts around Santa Barbara) at the height of rush hour when traffic will barely be inching along. Google makes now allowance for that. It simply assumes that you can drive at or above the speed limit all the time. Do I think that Google is more than 3-4 hours off? In a word: Yes.

AZBuck

5. Default

We have a hard deadline of 10:30 - 10:45pm into LA (we're not flying out of LAX, don't worry). If you think it's impossible I guess we'll just take I-5 the whole way, but what a bummer...

You don't have to take I-5, you can take US-101. It's a lot more scenic than I-5 and almost as fast.

Deadline? 10 hours? Take either US-101, as suggested above, or I-5. If it were me, I'd just take the 5, as there are places along the 101 that will congest very easily. However, as GLC pointed out, it IS more scenic than the 5....

Donna

What day of the week do you have to make this drive? That makes a difference when it comes to traffic and congestion. Also, where in LA do you have to go?

I show it's 360 miles from Pebble Beach to downtown LA via CA-68 to Salinas, then US-101 the rest of the way. With no significant traffic, this can be done in 7 hours but I'd allow more. If you would like to make a stop along the way, you could look at Solvang. It's 130 miles from there to downtown LA for planning purposes, probably 2.5 hours with no significant traffic.

9. Default

Message received on timing. I am leaning towards US-101 after Monterey. However, as a last ditch effort to do CA-1, what about cutting over to I-5 around Paso Robles? http://goo.gl/cwyQiz

Again - exactly where in LA are you going and what day of the week? That makes a difference. It may actually be better to take 101 if you are going to take the PCH as far as Cambria.