Default Chicago to Phillidelpia (via lakes and niagara)

Hi,

About 2 years ago members of this site were extremely helpful for my planning of a trip from Washington to South Carolina and many stop overs on route. Only problem then was a hurrican.

My wife and I (no kids) have now booked a flight to Chicago from UK and back on 23rd May from Phillidelpia.

We will hire a car with a one-way option.

We know Chicago and will stay there for a couple of days. We would then like to drive around the coast of Lake Michingan and Lake Huron, maybe then perhaps to Toronto, definately Niagara Falls. After that I hope a leisurely trip to Philly to arrive 21/5 to visit friends before flying back to the UK.

We can dip into and out of Canada as need be.

Our only "must" is Niagara Falls anything else is subject to your advice. Our preference for driving would be one day driving and then a day or 2 site seeing. We don't really like large cities. I am an amateur photographer (wild life not scenary).

Your help would be really appreciated.

Pete
    Abingdon (near Oxford)
    UK

Default The Long Way 'Round

You don't say how long you're going to be in North America for, but I can't imagine coming over for less than two weeks, so I'm going to assume that you have about nine days for the RoadTrip portion of your holiday, plus a few days each in Chicago and Philadelphia. That's just enough to complete your round-about routing over the tops of Lakes Michigan and Huron, through Niagara Falls and on to Philly at your preferred rate of one day driving out of every three.

So, let's start with a routing: From Chicago take I-94 up to Milwaukee, I-43 to Green Bay, US-41 to Menominee MI, MI-35 to Escanaba, US-2 to Engadine and use MI-117 to cut up to MI-28 to I-75 and Sault Ste. Marie. Cross into Canada and take the Trans-Canada Highway (ON-17) to Espanola ON and ON-6 south using the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry to cross the mouth of Georgian Bay to Tobermory and down into the Toronto area; the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) will then take you to Niagara Falls. From Niagara Falls, you really have a choice. 1) The motorway route which is just I-90 to Syracuse, then I-81 to Scranton and I-476 to Philly. But note that much of that is on toll roads and you will be sharing the road with a number of large lorries. A more scenic and relaxed option would be to leave I-90 at Batavia NY and take NY-63 to NY-36 at Wadsworth, then use I-390/I-86/NY-17 (free motorways) to Waverly where you'd get on US-220 south. Shortly thereafter, get on US-6 east to Scranton and I-476 (toll) into Philly, You could even avoid I-476 by using I-380/I-80/PA-33/US-22/PA-611 through Easton instead.

Now, it so happens (fortuitously) that such a routing would break up nicely with your first stop in the Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan, somewhere around the St. Ignace/Sault Ste. Marie area. A few nights here would let you explore the historic sites around Mackinaw City, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Mackinac Island State Park, the Soo Locks, Seney National Wildlife Refuge, and other sites in an area that is a holiday destination itself. Your other major stop would be in the Toronto/Niagara Falls area with the many attractions there. You might also want to look at spending single nights in two other places. The drive from Sault Ste. Marie to the Toronto area is a bit more than you'd want to do in a day, particularly with the ferry ride thrown in, so a stop before or around Owen Sound on the Lake Huron/Georgian Bay shore would be in order. Similarly, there are a number of worthwhile stops between Niagara Falls and Philadelphia, so if you plan to do more than just drive on that segment, another single overnight somewhere along the way would be in order.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-12-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Thank you for the prompt response, our dates are 5/5 t0 23/5 2015. Your response indicates that we can have a leisurly trip.

Pete

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

I'd suggest a stop at Mars' Cheese Castle off I-94 in Wisconsin before you get to Milwaukee from Chicago.

Also, in Canada, perhaps a trip to Kingston, Ontario, for the War of 1812 places as well as Sackets Harbor, New York for the same war.

Quote Originally Posted by pals4 View Post
    Hi,

We know Chicago and will stay there for a couple of days. We would then like to drive around the coast of Lake Michingan and Lake Huron, maybe then perhaps to Toronto, definately Niagara Falls. After that I hope a leisurely trip to Philly to arrive 21/5 to visit friends before flying back to the UK.

We can dip into and out of Canada as need be.

Pete
    Abingdon (near Oxford)
    UK

Many thanks for your help.

Just got back from a fantansic holiday. 3k miles in 3 weeks and great places.

Now need to plan next vacation.

Pete
    Oxford
    England