1. Default ventura county to grand canyon: where to park the RV first night

Leaving from ventura county to Grand Canyon, next sunday. want to stop somewhere that night half way or so to grand canyon south. then get to campground monday sometime early afternoon. where do you all suggest to stop? good camprground along the way would be appreciated. new to this RVing thing with two kids,

Tucson, AZ

Default Get Into It Slowly

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First, a word or two about your route to get by L.A. This will depend a bit on where you're starting from, of course, but I'm assuming that you'll depart from Santa Barbara, Ventura, or some place similar. You could follow US-101/I-10/I-210 through Los Angeles, and that is where most software mapping routines will send you. But to me 'Freedom of the Road' does not mean 75-100 miles of urban freeways. My wife and I just made the drive from southern Arizona to Santa Barbara, and I would highly recommend the route that we used. In your case, you'd leave the 101 at Ventura, take CA-126 up to Santa Clarita, use Soledad Canyon Road as a connection to CA-14 to Vincent where you'd use Pearblossom Road as a connection to CA-138 and finally take CA-18 to I-15 north to I-40. That's much less stressful, and much more scenic, than the alternative.

I'd probably also make your first day fairly short. It will take time to get everyone up, packed, and moving on that first day, and a short day will help you get accustomed to your new mode of transportation, make sure you have plenty of daylight to get everything squared away on your first evening using it as your home, and otherwise just relax. Roughly the California/Arizona state line would be a good target. In that area two good possibilities would be Hole-in-the-Wall campground in Mojave National Preserve and Lake Havasu State Park. Both would still leave you in good shape to get to Grand Canyon National Park by early to mid afternoon, and there really isn't much available east of them.

Last edited by AZBuck; 10-12-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Joplin MO

For planning purposes, in a RV it will take you 5 to 6 hours to get from Ventura to Needles. From there to the GC is another 4 to 5 hours.