Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Road Trip between Atlanta and NYC

Hello roadies .

I Plan to make a road trip between Atlanta and NYC on Oct-25th Sunday [ I have to get back to work in NYC Monday next day].I plan to start early morning in Atlanta ( Say 6 AM ).How much time would you think will take for a Single ( Alone) driver to make it to NYC ?

Note : I have experience of driving alone up to 600 miles ( took about 11 hours with stops ). Also , i have always been on the west coast . This is my first time on the east coast . I have a Toyota Rav4 ,2011.

Looking for Warnings , advise , Notes , points .

Appreciate your help !!

Thanks ,
    Anil

Default Two Days - Minimum

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Sorry, but this is a drive that needs to be measured in days, not hours. If you can't leave until Sunday morning, you can't be at work on Monday morning. It's that simple. As you have noted, you can make a trip of 600 miles, but the next 300 would kill you, literally. There's a reason professional drivers (e.g. long-haul truckers) are prohibited by law from driving more than 600 miles a day. Because after that your alertness, judgement, and motor skills all start to deteriorate rapidly. You would have the equivalent skill set of a very drunk driver long before you got to New York City. And what's worse, you'd be exhausting your abilities just as you were getting to the most demanding portion of your trip, the Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey Turnpikes. The advice you'll get here regarding your current plans is simple: Don't do it.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-09-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Default Agreed.

I'd have to agree with Buck, if you do not have at least another half day, find a cheap flight, and fly to NYC.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 10-09-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Just to put a little real world perspective to Buck's very accurate advice. If you remember the crash on the NJ turnpike a few months ago that critically injured Tracy Morgan and killed his friend James McNair, that involved a truck driver who was also trying to drive from the Atlanta area to New York area in one day. That truck driver is now facing homicide charges and many years in prison. It really is not worth the risk of even attempting this kind of drive.

Buck , Magician and Midwest .. Thanks a lot for the Prompt responses . Buck -- you made me think about those next 300 Miles [ Considering im a usual 600 mile roadie ] . I think i got little over ambitious . you all guys are correct . I would rather take a friend along and drive in turns [ each 400 Miles ] .

Thanks again !!

That is still not safe, you can't get adequate rest sitting up in a moving car. You NEED to leave no later than noon Saturday and spend a night in a hotel to make it home Sunday night.

Thanks Glc for the input !!

Even with a friend, it's not a one-day drive. It's a day-and-a-half, whether there is one driver or two. Either leave on Saturday as suggested, or call work and say you won't be in until Monday afternoon. Two drivers keep each other awake. They don't take turns sleeping. My husband and I tried that years ago when we were younger. Never did that again!!!!!

Donna

The only way you can safely do it in one day is with 3 drivers on a speed run.

Thanks Donna , GLC : I cant get 3 drivers on the trip .. hence , i plan to drop the whole idea of driving between Atlanta and NYC in this short span of time that i have . May be Christmas time , with more friends on and more holidays .. I would certainly do it .. Thanks ALL again .. really helped !!