I’m visiting the US in late October/early November and am planning my first road trip and looking for some advice to see if what I’ve planned makes sense/is too over ambitious/too much driving etc.
Some basckground: We’re looking to hire a 19ft RV and we’re basically outdoorsy people i.e we’d rather a few extra days in a National park and get a hike in, rather than an extra day in a city. The plan is (i've pasted a google maps link at the bottom of intended route):
Sunday 26th Oct: Las Vegas
Monday 27th : Las Vegas
Tues 28th : Pick up RV (we may only be able to pick it up at 11am) ,depart Las Vegas to Furnace Creek, Death Valley via Pahrump -> 190 visiting Zabrinkie Point, Dantes View, Artists Drive.
Weds 29th :Depart Furnace Creek 7am to Yosemite Valley hopefully via Tioga Pass (8hrs drive)
Thurs 30th : Staying in Yosemite Valley (North Pines)
Friday 31th Oct : Staying in Yosemite Valley (North Pines)
Sat 1st Nov : Staying in Yosemite Valley (could also be a buffer day)
Sun 2nd : Depart 7am Yosemite Valley to Morrow Bay (9 hrs drive ?)
Monday 3rd : Depart Morrow Bay to Los Angeles (5hrs drive)
Tuesday 4th : LA
Weds 5th : LA
Thurs 6th : LA
Friday 7th Nov : Depart LA to Las Vegas
I’ve also got a few newbie RV questions (sorry if they sound stupid):
- The RV park (North Pines) we’re staying in in Yosemite Valley does not have a hook up. Is this likely to be a problem? I don’t plan on making significant use of the furnace. I assume the battery charges during driving.
- Assuming Tioga pass is open are there any concerns driving a rented 19ft RV along it? If its closed it’s a loooong drive to Yosemite. Would an overnight stay at say Fresno/Midpines be recommended?
- What happens if it snows while I’m in Yosemite and im in a rented RV (re tyre chains)
- Is it normally OK to just turn up at an RV park in Morrow Bay / LA (or anywhere for that matter other than Yosemite), or do you have to reserve in advance?
- Is it ok to arrive at an RV site latish eg 8pm in the evening OK or are they strict about check-in times?
Any advice/ thoughts gratefully received.
Google maps route: