Will be planning a road trip this December. Will need to travel from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles. Plan is to leave on the 19th at around 5PM, drive to an intermediary point to rest, then head to Los Angeles the next day.
There are two possible routes I'm considering
1) 395 (Drive with mountain view)
2) Pacific Coast Highway 1 or Highway 101 (Sea view)
I understand that the 395 is a lot faster than taking the winding Pacific Coast - is it worth it to skip the coast though?
- What are the driving conditions on these three roads in the winter, does it take longer than what Google Maps suggests, and is it dangerous?
- What would be a good rest point for the night on the way in either route?
For 395, I've been seeing Bishop, Mammoth
For Highway 1, I thought of Monterey, Carmel
- What are nice places to visit along the way?
- What would be your ultimate recommendation?
Additional information: We might want to catch a sunrise on the 20th and hope to reach LA by early afternoon.