Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default St louis park,MN to Tempe AZ

I have a new job offer in Tempe,AZ and relocating there from st louis park,MN.

Me and my friend travelling together and the earliest we could start from MN is 10/17 3 PM CST and i have a flight to catch from AZ by 10/20 7 PM.

Experts - Please educate if this is a plan which is worth implementing?

If this is worth it which is the route i should avoid/take? or any general advice on this stretch from people who have done it before?

The car which we use would be a 2012 Toyoto Corolla.

Thanks in Advance!

Welcome to the RTA Form!

The trip you are looking at is possible - although worth it is certainly debatable. You need a minimum of 3 full days to safely make this trip, so basically, you will be arriving in the Phoenix area just in time to head to head to the airport.

Route, I'd probably take I-35 all the way to OKC, over on I-40 to AZ, and then down I-17. Alternatively, you could also use I-80 and I-25 via Denver to get from Des Moines to Albuquerque. Either way, it's about 1800 miles, which means 10-12 hours on the road each day (obviously, 2 full days, sandwiched by a pair of 1/2 days in your case). That's the maximum professional drivers are allowed to do in a day, and the most you should really consider doing on a multi-day trip like this.

There are also a couple of US highways that could take you on a diagonal, but they are on 2 lane roads and won't save you really any time, so I'd skip them on a trip where you don't have much time to spare.

Also take a look at these tips for a speed run.

Default Just Possible

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You have pretty much three days to complete what is, at best, a three day drive. So yes, it's possible. But whether it's worth it is another matter. You will have to stick to the main roads, Interstates for the most part but with occasionally 'more interesting' roads: I-35 to Wichita, US-400/US-54 to Santa Rosa NM, I-40 to Holbrook AZ, and finally AZ-277/AZ-260/AZ-87 down through Heber and Payson to the Phoenix area.

You should also treat this as a distance run, not a sprint. Keep a steady pace rather than trying to go as far and as fast as you can at the beginning. Recognize that even if the two of you share the driving, having multiple drivers means that each stop will take longer, and you will tend to have more of them - slowing you down just a bit. Plan out your three overnight stops beforehand and stick to them. Get a good eight hours each night so that both of you can be awake and alert through each day's drive. I would suggest overnights at roughly Osceola IA, Guymon OK, and Holbrook AZ. That would put you within an easy final day's drive of PHX airport. Note that you do NOT want to get caught in Phoenix rush hour traffic on a Monday evening trying to catch a plane. You need to be at the airport well ahead of your flight time and I mean well ahead (several hours).

You won't have time for any major sight-seeing stops along the way, but plan out a few R&R stops each day, similar to these to keep you refreshed, to add some variety to your drive, and to allow you to get at least a feel for the changes as you drive through this vast country of ours.

AZBuck

4. Default

I'm confused. What is the purpose of the trip? Seems like you are just making a mad dash to the PHX airport.

I just went through that horrendous traffic. It was 6pm on a Tuesday. It was far worse than my Detroit traffic!

There are airfare deals to PHX that would give you sometime to look around.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
    I'm confused. What is the purpose of the trip? Seems like you are just making a mad dash to the PHX airport.

I just went through that horrendous traffic. It was 6pm on a Tuesday. It was far worse than my Detroit traffic!

There are airfare deals to PHX that would give you sometime to look around.
    The whole purpose of this trip is to transport the car from MN to AZ and experience the road trip. The other weekends doesn't work and this is the only weekend which is open for us and have to catch the plane back to MN to finish off the last duties at old job.

Shipping the car is probably the best option both in terms of money,time and stress but if not this time we may not attempt this road trip again. This is more of a preparatory trip to Route 66 which we are planning a few years from now :)

Last edited by Pilaka; 10-02-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added content

Default Any excuse for a road trip is a good one !

Shipping the car is probably the best option both in terms of money,time and stress but if not this time we may not attempt this road trip again.
    Not at all in my opinion ! As has been said it's a doable drive, albeit taking your available time. However there are not many Road trippers here who would turn down the opportunity to drive. As long as you are comfortable with it now that you know what it entails, then go for it !

Have a safe trip !

If I were in your shoes, I would make the drive. However, I love a good long drive, even if it isn't much more than just watching the world go by through the windows.

Having said that, it really wouldn't be much of a traditional "roadtrip" experience, because you wouldn't be able to do much other than just make time down the highway. Ultimately, it's up to you if being in the car for basically 3 straight days sounds like its worth it. But when you factor in the costs of driving - the cost of spending 3 nights on the road - and the cost of flying back to MN, Shipping the car could be a cheaper option.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    If I were in your shoes, I would make the drive. However, I love a good long drive, even if it isn't much more than just watching the world go by through the windows.

Having said that, it really wouldn't be much of a traditional "roadtrip" experience, because you wouldn't be able to do much other than just make time down the highway. Ultimately, it's up to you if being in the car for basically 3 straight days sounds like its worth it. But when you factor in the costs of driving - the cost of spending 3 nights on the road - and the cost of flying back to MN, Shipping the car could be a cheaper option.
    Thanks All for the different constructive thoughts - We are going ahead with the drive :)

9. Default

St Louis Park(MN) - Topeka(KS) - Tucumcari(NM) - Tempe(AZ)

We will have a overnight stay @ Topeka and Tucumcari.

excited for the road trip,will update the trip report in a week.

Default Have a safe trip.

We will look forward to your report.

To even out your driving days a little and have a shorter run in to Tempe you could look at Emporia KS and Santa Rosa NM for overnight stops although either way is fine.