Chester, Cheshire, United Kingdom

Default New York to Boston ?

Hi. I am new to this site but finding it really helpful.
    I am planning a trip to New York next year with my husband and 2 children (12,9)
    We have decided to do New York and some other places as part of our summer holiday rather than just a weekend break in manhattan.
    We were initially going to do New York and Long Island poss hamptons area however we have always wanted to visit Boston too and the cape cod area looks stunning. We are not sure what is the best way to do it is though, Boston to New York via cape code or the other way round. Is there any beautiful must see places we need to see.
    We definitely want at least 5 nights in manhattan possibly 6 as we want to do lots there, I've been 3times but the kids haven't so got lots of plans for us while we are there. We were thinking about 3 in Boston and then a week or so in the middle of these 2 places, would stretch to 3 weeks total if we could get some good priced accommodation. I need some help and ideas on what places to visit and where to stay. We want to include a beach stay we would be happy to stay in one place for a week and travel around or possibly do a couple of stays in between Boston and New York, however we do want some relaxing time and would be happy to spend time in one place if their is enough to do, we don't want to be doing 1/2 nights here and there.
    We like lively busy places, so in cape cod we would like somewhere to stay that is near a town with restaurants and bars and with lots going on but still great beaches. Would love to visit some quaint villages and other places. We want a pool if poss too (not in Boston and New York).
    Any help and ideas would be great. We can go anytime after 24th July as long as we are back by 1st September.
    Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing everyone's ideas x

Tucson, AZ

Default Two If By Sea

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It matters not so much in which direction you go between those two cities, but there's a great deal of difference in how you do it. First and foremost I highly recommend taking the ferry between New London CT and Orient NY (on the northeastern tip of Long Island). This will relieve you of the hassles of driving through all the seaport and industrial cities along Long Island Sound in Connecticut as well as having to make two trips between the Hamptons and New York City Besides, the ferry is a fun trip in its own right. It also sets you up to visit New London (Submarine Museum), Mystic (Seaport and Abbott's), and Newport the 'Cottages').

On Cape Cod, I'd suggest that you concentrate your search for a place to stay along the southern shore, say between Falmouth and Dennis. Other than Providence, this is the area with the greatest concentration of activities and accommodations. It is also close enough to the National Seashore and the ferries to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard to give you plenty of options.