Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trip from San Diego to Washington, dc in early November

moving to Washington the first two weeks of November and leaving San Diego, going to the Grand Canyon, then want to end up in Nashville and good to go from there up. What's the best route at that time of year?. Have to avoid snow or any weather as passenger is a southerner and as much of Texas as possible. We have about 8 days.
    Last edited by momonthemove; 09-09-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: ņeed to add timing

Default Time Available?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your routing is pretty straightforward. It's just basically I-15/I-40/I-81/I-66 past the Grand Canyon, through Nashville, up the Great Valley, and into Washington. What is critical, however, is something you haven't mentioned: how much time you have available to you for this trip. The miles alone will require five solid days of driving without any stops. Making the detour to the Grand Canyon and spending just a few hours there and an evening in Nashville quickly pushes this to six days minimum. More time at those sites and/or more time at other locations en route ups the total even further. So if you're looking to make more than quick R&R stops, it would help if we had some knowledge of how much extra time you have available and what your interest are.

AZBuck

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Based on where you want to go, the obvious route is pretty straightforward. I-15 to I-40 (which goes near the Grand Canyon and through Nashville) to I-81 into Northern Virginia. Really, there aren't many other options that go past both GC and Nashville without adding lots of extra miles.

There's simply no way of knowing what the weather will be in early November. Yes, there is a chance you could see snow, although the odds are fairly low early in the month. However, there is no route you can take on a cross country trip that doesn't have the chance of seeing snow or ice in the winter.

We have about 8 days. There's not really time to stop much but we don't want to drive more than 6-7 hours a day

Via I-15, I-40, I-81, and I-66, your route is about 2800 miles. That means you should be covering 350 miles per day, which is about 6 or 7 hours. However, that means not doing Grand Canyon except as a "drive-through" and extending your day about 5 or 6 hours (at least).

Here's one thought: Extend your FIRST day only to get yourself as far as either Kingman, AZ (380 mi), or into Williams, AZ (500 mi). (There is not much available for lodging in between.) On Day 2, go up to the Grand Canyon, spend the day, then head out, overnight in Holbrook (another 177 mi from the GC). The rest of your days can be divided into 350 mi days very easily. You'd even have time for a little drive up to the Painted Desert in Petrified Forest on that 3rd day, and a few other short stops each day. If weather holds you up someplace, though, you might have to drive a little longer on another day to make up for it.

Donna

Thanks so much for this. We may have to miss the GC this time as we have friends in Tenn and GA that we'd like to stop and see and can't extend the trip. It needs to be simple, fun and pretty direct. Does anyone have a suggested route that goes from San Diego to Nashville. Then we can get from there to Atlanta and from there up to Washington........we're from there so the East Coast is easier for us to plan. It's getting across that's the mystery.
    Last edited by momonthemove; 09-09-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: forgot something

The direct route to Nashville really doesn't change even if you skip the Grand Canyon. I-15 to I-40 is still a solid route choice, with lots of fun stops right along the highway (much of the route follows the path of old Route 66). You could also take I-8/I-10/I-20/I-30, through Tucson and Dallas. The travel times between those two routes would be very similar.

From Nashville, I-24/I-75 will take you right to Atlanta, and I-85/I-95 will take you from Atl to DC, although cutting north on I-77 at Charlotte to I-81 could also be a good choice, depending upon where in the DC Metro you're heading.

Michael is correct in saying that you can still take I-15 and I-40 and NOT stop at the Grand Canyon. He also suggested I-8/I-10/I-20/I-30, which is a largely desert route. But here's another series of routes that will help you avoid Riverside and San Bernardino cities/counties:

I-8 through SoCal and SoAZ. At Gila Bend, head north on AZ-85, then east on I-10. Avoid much of downtown and urban Phoenix by taking Loop 101 North (the beltway) to I-17. I-17 will take you north into Flagstaff, where you catch I-40 east. That will take you to Nashville.

There's no appreciative difference in the mileage, but the potential for traffic snares in the Riverside area is greater than the one in Phoenix.

Donna

thanks for this...any ideas for cool places to stay or things to see along rte 40. will look online as well.

do you have any ideas for cool places to stay along this route, things to see? we like b and bs or more interesting places rather than the chains.