1. Default From Alamosa to Moab in mid march

Hallo Guys,

we are planning a trip from Santa Fe to Alamosa for visit the Sand Dunes in mid march ( with a rental car like a Ford Escape o similar).

From Alamosa, we would like to Moab ( we can divide the trim from alamosa to moab in two days)

We seen two options

1) wolf creek pass (Alamosa - Wolf Creek - Durango - Monticello - Moab)
    2) Monarch Pass ( Alamosa - Monarch - Montrose - Moab)
    3) US 24 (Alamosa - leadville - Moab)

I know that the weather could be not so good....

What can you suggest us?

thanks

Default Is It a Loop?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are at least two basic bits of information that you have not given us that will have a major affect on what kind of advice we give you: 1) Is this a loop trip, returning to Santa Fe? 2) How long do you have for the RoadTip over all?

Assuming it is a loop and you have a reasonable amount of time, then you don't have to choose a single route. You can use a different route to Moab and back. In such a case, I would suggest continuing north from Alamosa to Saguache and using CO-114 to connect with US-50 through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison to I-70. You could then return to Santa Fe via US-191/US-491 to Cortez CO and then US-160 past Mesa Verde. You would then have a final option of continuing over Wolf Creek Pass to return home on US-285 OR, from Durango, taking US-550 down to I-25 north to Santa Fe.

AZBuck

3. Default

thanks AZBuck.

no, it's not a round trip, from Moab we will go to Phoenix through Mexican Hat - Flagstaff. So we have only one road to do from Alamosa to Moab.

We are oriented do wolf creek, but we can not know if in march is closed a lot of day or only spot, and also the monarch to gunnison it could be the same.....for this reason I need your opinion on the two pass and, of course, on a backup road in case of snow :)

You can get up to the minute road conditions in Colorado at cotrip.org, they also have a mobile site for smartphones. Wolf Creek Pass and Monarch Pass seldom close but they can be snowy.

The shortest and fastest route is via Wolf Creek, figure 6 hours in good weather.

Default Contingency Planning

The biggest variables that you have control of during winter is how many hours you are on the road and how much total time you have for your trip. You have no control over what the weather will be and it is far too early to be choosing routes based on weather that will not be accurately forecast until a day or two before your departure. For those reasons, you should plan on the shortest possible route, which is over Wolf Creek Pass, while holding enough time in reserve to either sit out weather that makes such a route too dangerous or travel many more miles to get around it if that is your only real option. But at this point, you should plan on US-160 but know what your other options are and how long they would take under various conditions. After all, there's no guarantee that if Wolf Creek Pass is closed, any other routes in the same general area will be open.

AZBuck

6. Default

I agree

We have two days for make the route, so, we would plan the route by wolf creek, with out any reserve for the night, in this way we can sleep in Cortez, durango, monticello or where we will arrive...if the wolf creek will be closed we will change the route :)

other question:

How are generally the "normal" road in march? I0m speaking about for example the road from santa fe to taos to alamorosa....i know that we will be in an plateau, over 5000 - 6000 ft...

tks

Default Local Arteries

In the west, where most Interstates run east-west and the few that run north-south are widely spaced, the US Highway System still provides the main connections. They are, as a rule, well maintained and have relatively high speed limits. There are exceptions of course, especially in the mountains, but these roads carry the life's blood in these regions. Specifically US-285 is a relatively flat and straight two-lane road through the San Luis Valley between Santa Fe and Alamosa. If you make the detour to Taos, then you'll be using NM-68/US-64. NM-68 is not quite up to the standards I have indicated for US-285. It is narrower and twistier, following the still-nascent Rio Grande through some fairly tight canyons. Scenic, but not a high-speed highway. But, again, it is the main rout between Santa Fe and Taos. In short, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of those roads and in fact have used them. They're just fine. As always, weather and construction can change conditions.

8. Default

clear

yes, we don't have hurry, we can take or time. We hope only in the weather

tks

9. Default

i saw the message:

All CMV Must Chain Up Restriction began December 21st, 2014 at 6:15pm.

What are CMV? all vehicles or only truck?

Thanks

Commercial Motor Vehicles. From cotrip.org:

*Colorado’s chain law defines commercial vehicles as being used in commerce to transport passengers or property and fitting into one of the following categories:

>Gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more lbs. inclusive of a towed unit which has a gross vehicle weight ration of more than 10,000 lbs

>Gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more lbs

>Designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver