Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. Default IL to Palo Alto, Need Suggestios

    Hi All,

    I'm new to this forum and I have very limited knowledge and experienced about road trips. I appreciate any suggestion.

    Just Added: I plan around 8 days on the trip, but it's actually flexible, like with a 2-day window.

    I just graduated and need to move from IL(Champaign) to Stanford in Palo Alto. I got my license six months ago and decided to drive alone to CA. Safety is my primary concern, but it'll be awesome if I can pass by the Canyons(Bryce, Zion and Grand). I googled possible routes, and found two options: I-70 to Canyons and I-15 to CA, or I-80 to CA.

    Screenshot from 2014-08-30 16-00-30.jpg
    Screenshot from 2014-08-30 16-01-44.jpg

    My concern is that the routes to the Canyon might be tougher, and it also takes more time. What's the difference of the road conditions of these two options?

    Also are there any cheap clean hotels around the Canyons?

    I have an Audi Q5 bought six months ago.

    Any suggestion would be great.

    -Yujia
    Last edited by yujia; 08-30-2014 at 10:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Joplin MO
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    Welcome to RTA!

    How many days can you take for this trip?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default It depends on the timeframe.

    As already mentioned, the time you have available for this trip will have a great bearing on which route and how many of the canyons, as well as other sites, you can visit.

    Safety is very much a matter of being aware of your surroundings and how you feel about where you are. If a place makes you feel uncomfortable, move on to where you feel better. Since you have only just got your licence, all the road safety lessons you learned should be still fresh in your mind. Be sure to implement them.

    I am assuming that you will be over 18 at the time of travel. It is nigh on impossible to get accommodation if you are not.

    Lifey

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,546

    Default

    A couple of things that I'd like to add:

    Cheap accommodations are hard to come by inside or nearby such popular national parks as Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon. For Bryce, you might find something reasonable in Cedar City, UT, but it's a bit outside of the park. For Zion, you could try Springdale, but if that's still too expensive, try St George. For Grand Canyon, Flagstaff is more reasonable but you will have to make sure that NAU has nothing going on that will tie up the lodgings there. If you are under 18, your only choice for lodging will be camping, as Lifey is right -- motels are picky.

    Via I-80, the trip will take 5 comfortable days of 420 miles, or 4 heavier days of 510 miles. Via I-70, the trip is really gorgeous, but it will add another 200 miles (1/2 day). If you go down to Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon, you will need another 3 days for the driving and at least another 3 days for visiting. So how much time you have, will determine whether you can get down to see those 3 parks.


    Donna

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

    How many days can you take for this trip?
    Approximately 8 days, but with a 2-day window.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default Not my experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    If you are under 18, your only choice for lodging will be camping, as Lifey is right -- motels are picky.
    Most commercial campgrounds, and even some State Parks, ask for photo I.D. at check-in. Age is one thing they check. If safety is one of your concerns, sticking to accommodation where I.D. is requested, could be a good idea. (It's not that moptels are picky.... in many places they are purely sticking to local regulations.)

    As a solo traveller you could do well to check hostels. Good hostels are much more than accommodation. Often they have community meals, coffee and tea on tap all day long, and discount tickets for local events and attractions. There are some great hostels near some of the National Parks. But even most hostels will not accept under 18s guests.

    Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 08-31-2014 at 04:12 AM.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    As already mentioned, the time you have available for this trip will have a great bearing on which route and how many of the canyons, as well as other sites, you can visit.

    Safety is very much a matter of being aware of your surroundings and how you feel about where you are. If a place makes you feel uncomfortable, move on to where you feel better. Since you have only just got your licence, all the road safety lessons you learned should be still fresh in your mind. Be sure to implement them.

    I am assuming that you will be over 18 at the time of travel. It is nigh on impossible to get accommodation if you are not.

    Lifey
    Yep I'm over 18(21 to be exact). I plan around 8 days on the trip.

    Is it safe to visit the Canyons alone? I might be too nervous but I'm concerned about the tough road conditions in the mountains and possible wild animals if I walk... I'll look for more information...

    Thanks! -Yujia

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    A couple of things that I'd like to add:

    Cheap accommodations are hard to come by inside or nearby such popular national parks as Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon. For Bryce, you might find something reasonable in Cedar City, UT, but it's a bit outside of the park. For Zion, you could try Springdale, but if that's still too expensive, try St George. For Grand Canyon, Flagstaff is more reasonable but you will have to make sure that NAU has nothing going on that will tie up the lodgings there. If you are under 18, your only choice for lodging will be camping, as Lifey is right -- motels are picky.

    Via I-80, the trip will take 5 comfortable days of 420 miles, or 4 heavier days of 510 miles. Via I-70, the trip is really gorgeous, but it will add another 200 miles (1/2 day). If you go down to Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon, you will need another 3 days for the driving and at least another 3 days for visiting. So how much time you have, will determine whether you can get down to see those 3 parks.


    Donna
    Thank you. It really helps!

    -Yujia

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,748

    Default Relax.

    Is it safe to visit the Canyons alone? I might be too nervous but I'm concerned about the tough road conditions in the mountains and possible wild animals if I walk... I'll look for more information.
    I wouldn't describe any of the paved roads as "Tough," either in the parks or the highways that you will use to travel between them and to see the parks, there is no need to take unpaved roads. If you are fortunate enough to see wildlife, they will be more nervous of you than you are of them. Although unexpected things can happen anywhere, you will generally be safer visiting the canyons than you will be crossing a City street. Relax and enjoy !

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I wouldn't describe any of the paved roads as "Tough," either in the parks or the highways that you will use to travel between them and to see the parks, there is no need to take unpaved roads. If you are fortunate enough to see wildlife, they will be more nervous of you than you are of them. Although unexpected things can happen anywhere, you will generally be safer visiting the canyons than you will be crossing a City street. Relax and enjoy !
    lol, now I'm relieved. Thank you! ;)

Similar Threads

  1. Palo Cedro, CA - Marlboro, NY Dogs & Cat In Tow...
    By Graceful585 in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM
  2. DC to CA palo alto
    By lg999 in forum Share the Gas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 09:45 AM
  3. Austin, TX to Palo Alto, CA
    By May-Ling in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 07:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES