1. Default Road Trip from philly to Maine

Hey Everyone.. My family and I are planning a road trip from Philly to Maine. I just have a few questions about the logistics, specifically: Which route should I be taking? I will be traveling with three small kids so I'd like to be able to stop at interesting/scenic places along the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default The One I Used

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Depending on where you're going in Maine, the drive from Philly can be either a fairly easy one day affair (to York, say) or a much longer two day drive (to Acadia, Baxter, or anywhere else really 'Down East'). But the hard part of any such drive is getting around New York and through Connecticut and Massachusetts. Now I used to basically 'commute' between southern Maine and Wilmington DE, making that trip maybe a half dozen times a year. Here's the best way I found:

Leave Philly on I-95 north to just past Trenton and take US-206 through Princeton to Raritan and I-287 north. There are ways to avoid Princeton, but they're fairly complicated. (If you have a good GPS that you're very comfortable using, or have good detailed paper maps, you can use Hopewell, Skillman and Belle Mead as intermediate points on the way to Raritan.) Take I-287 to Suffern NY and get on NY-17 to Sloatsburg. There watch carefully for the right turn onto Seven Lakes Drive towards and through Harriman State Park, a great place for a picnic lunch or short hike. When you come out the other end, get on US-6 to cross the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson and pick up US-202/Bear Mountain Parkway to Brewster NY and I-84 east. (Again, there are slightly shorter but more complicated ways to get on I-684 a bit earlier - at Purdys NY, but I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible). And in fact the rest of the drive can be relatively straightforward. Just take I-84 through Hartford to the Mass Pike and the Mass Pike to Worcester. Use I-290 to make the connection to I-495 around Boston to I-95 north and Maine.

There is, however, one small detour I will offer for your consideration that I think your kids would really enjoy. About 10 miles before you get to Hartford, take CT-72 east to CT-9 southeast to I-91 north to Exit 23. Go east on CT-160 to Dinosaur State Park and when you're done there continue east on CT-160 to the Rocky Hill-Glastonbury Ferry. On the other side of the Connecticut River, CT-17/CT-2 north will bring you back to I-84.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-30-2014 at 09:50 PM.