1. Default October trip from Las Vegas to Nashville TN

Hi All,
    I just came across this forum and saw some great info. I'm hoping I can get some help with my trip from Las Vegas to Nashville. We are leaving on October 18th and I'm trying to convince my wife to take Rt. 70 instead of Rt. 40. I would prefer to take the northern route but was wondering how much longer the drive would take, and if I could possibly get stuck in snow storms in Utah and Colorado.
    Any advice would be great!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Nominally and Really

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Nominally, the trip from Las Vegas to Nashville would take two hours longer via I-70 rather than I-40. But the reality is a bit different. Taking I-40, you could just make it in three days if you pushed it to the limit on each of those three days - no sight-seeing, bare minimum of absolutely essential stops (food, fuel and bathroom breaks only), and 600 miles a day. Grueling but doable. That would not be possible if you take I-70. That's just enough longer that it would force you to take four days, each of which would be just under 500 miles, leaving an hour or two for time-outs at interesting or scenic locations along the route.

That is not to say that you couldn't drive either route in four relaxed, enjoyable days. Whichever way you choose to go, that's the timeframe you should be looking at. So, if there is more that intrigues you between I-70 or I-40, then choose that route. If you've driven one route and want to see the other for a change, that's reason enough to choose it. Weather should not really be a factor although it is just possible that you might see some snow crossing the Rockies. You are far more likely to see gorgeous yellow fall aspens. But otherwise, our usual mantra of "There is no single 'best' option/route/itinerary" applies.

South of England.

Default The more time the better.

How long can you spare for the trip ? So many great places to visit along the way !