Default First Trip Heading East from LA

I am travelling from New Zealand to LA in mid November for business and am taking some extra days to look around for an extra 11 nights. I have been to LA on holiday before so I thought heading inland would be an option.
    I will be hiring a car from LA and returning it to LA on my last day. (only option for the particular car I am hiring).
    I was thinking Las Vegas for 3 nights, catch some shows and see the night life etc., and also Flagstaff for 2 nights to look around Grand Canyon.
    This leaves me an extra 6 nights to travel and look around at other areas and attractions. Maybe head northeast. I here Monument valley is worth a visit. Maybe Page.
    Any advice on what to see an where to stay would be helpful.
    City, small town, wilderness, doesn't really matter, it will be all new to me.

Welcome to RTA!

Wow -- so much to see and do in Arizona, Utah, and Nevada that I really don't know where to begin! You might want to look around the RTA pages. But offhand:

Joshua Tree National Park, CA. Walnut Canyon National Monument, AZ. Sedona, AZ. Lake Powell/Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, AZ/UT. Zion National Park, UT. Bryce Canyon National Park, UT.

Those are just some ideas. There are plenty more, but you won't have time to do all of them justice.

Donna

Default Some thoughts to fill 11 days.

With 11 nights, you could head straight for the Grand Canyon and do the 'classic circle' Monument Valley up through Moab to Arches, Canyonlands, along UT12 to Bryce and Zion, before heading into Vegas. Or you could skip some of the southern Utah National Parks and from the GC head to Vegas. On your way back to LA, you could tour through Death Valley to Yosemite (if Tioga Pass is still open), on to San Francisco (if you have not been there) and back to LA via the Pacific Coast Highway.

Or any combination of these, as fits your time frame and interests.

Lifey

Thanks for your reply guys.

I originally thought to take the Death Valley route to Yosemite, San Francisco, Pacific Coast back to LA, but was unsure about Yosemite being pretty much closed in November and limited access of things to see.
    I have not been to San Francisco before (we in New Zealand are used to the ground shaking) nor driven down the pacific coast, so that would be good.

But, your other suggestions of what to see and where to stay in Utah/Arizona also sound great. I was just talking to someone at work today and said Monument Valley was a must to see. I Have looked into Zion also and that seems worth a stay.

So much to see and so little time.
    I've got some decisions to make.

Yosemite is not closed in winter, in fact winter can be a great time to visit the park.

Access to some areas are closed - Tioga Pass and the Road to Glaicer point will be closed once snow makes them impassable - but the vast majority of the park is open all year. There is even ice skating and downhill skiing in the park in Winter!

In November, your odds are about 50/50 that Tioga Pass will be open, but if it's closed, it just means you need to access the park from the west, instead of driving directly across the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Default Something to which most of us can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    So much to see and so little time.
    I've got some decisions to make.
    That's the nature of a roadtrip. There are always more places to see than time will permit. When you decide which are of most interest to you, there will always be someone here to help you design the most efficient route.

On the National Parks website you will get more information to help you decide.

Lifey

Ok, I have looked into several of these areas and attractions and decided the trip will be something like this:

2 nights GC (or Flagstaff). Its a long drive but I will have all day and will take my time
    1 night Monument Valley - The view hotel
    2 nights Moab - Probably take a Canyonlands day tour, see Arches etc.
    2 nights Bryce Canyon OR 1 night Bryce Canyon, 1 night between Moab & Bryce as it looks like a long drive. Any suggestions here.
    1 night Zion
    3 nights Vegas

How does that sound?
    Also, ant recommendations for accommodation in, Moab (or thereabouts) and Bryce, Zion. There seems plenty of choice of lodges etc.

In Moab two years ago, we stayed at the Apache Motel. We chose it based on good reviews, reasonable price, the fact that it was NOT on the beaten path, and it had a pool. Not weighing in on the decision to stay was the fact that it's historic, and has hosted many celebrities. What we found was a room that had plenty of space, amenities that we needed, a pleasant and clean pool (nice after a day on the road and a day in the parks), and we were pleased. It had wifi but at the time, our laptop had pretty well died so we could not test it. It was at least 2-3 blocks to eateries, which didn't bother us.

In Bryce, most folks seem to like Ruby's Inn. We changed our summer plans and didn't include Bryce or Ruby's Inn, but had planned to stay there.

For Grand Canyon, you should try to get reservations NOW if you want to stay in the park itself or even in Tusayan. Flagstaff might even need reservations, depending on what might be going on at Coconino College or NAU.

Donna

Default Possible tweaks.

2 nights Bryce Canyon OR 1 night Bryce Canyon, 1 night between Moab & Bryce as it looks like a long drive.
    Between Moab and Bryce you really should drive UT24 and scenic Byway 12 through Escalante. You could then visit Capitol Reef NP and stay in Torrey the night, or there is a nice Best Western resort nearby. One night in Bryce will be enough as it is quite an easy park to see in a day. I would look to stay another night in Zion though as there are lots of great walks and areas to be enjoyed. To 'find' that extra night what you could do is spend night 2 of your GC stay just outside the east entrance at Cameron Trading post which is on route to Monument Valley. That would allow you time for a full day at GC and witness a sunset and the following day would allow you the time to visit MV and continue to Moab for the night.