1. Default Cape May, NJ to Oceanside, Ca

Hello...how are you all today? I am on a new adventure and am looking for some direction. I am traveling alone. Leaving Oct. 1st and have 10 days to arrive. I am not sure which route to take and am getting extremely overwhelmed with the prospects. I do know I am stopping in KY to visit a cousin so that would be day 1 or 2...might stop in NC. Anyway. I do know I hate driving with lots of trucks so I am told that would be route 40... HELP! I would like to travel 500-600 miles a day. Then sleep at decent hotel...
    thanks.

Default Conflicting Goals

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by beachy8227
    I hate driving with lots of trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachy8227
    I would like to travel 500-600 miles a day.
    Sorry, but you're going to have to pick one. The truth is that the only way to travel 500+ miles a day is to stick to the Interstates, and that's where the trucks are. Because they, too, would like to travel 500+ mile a day! So, you just need to resign yourself to that.

Now, If you decide that you are going to stop in North Carolina, then it makes sense to make that your first waypoint on the trip. that would help in another regard as well. If you take the Cape May-Lewes Ferry to start out then head down the Delmarva Peninsula to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, that will let you avoid Baltimore and Washington and the truly horrendous traffic associated with them. From there (wherever 'there' is in North Carolina) I-26 and I-55 provide access to Kentucky and a return from there to I-40 (wherever 'there' is in Kentucky).

Other than that, yes I-40 (and I-15/I-5 in California) will take you the rest of the way to Oceanside. I wouldn't, however, plan on any 600 mile days. They will simply wear you out and leave you unfit to be behind the wheel after too long. Rather, treat this as the marathon it is and simply try to maintain a steady pace of about 550 miles per day with plenty of R&R breaks along the way.

AZBuck