Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cape Cod to Orlando - Inland route advice

Firstly, this website has been amazingly helpful. I would have never considered taking anything other than 95S on our trip to FL. That said, I am totally second guessing myself right now!

We (me, the huz, and 3 kids - 10, 10, 3) are heading to Orlando - taking 4 days down and as many as we can afford coming back. Have only planned the trip south as of right now. Cape Cod to Hershey Park the first day - avoiding 95 and NYC and heading west on 84. Any suggestions for a lunch stop? Place to throw a frisbee around and burn some energy? We should be about 4 hours in by then which brings us near Milford, PA.

Then, we will head another 4-ish hours to the Hersheypark Camping Resort for the night. Shhh. Don't tell the kids, we are going to Hershey park the next day! Early start - 6 hrs in the park. Destination that night is Lynchburg, VA. I am guessing about 5 hours? Should be easy with sleepy kids in the car :)

Next stop, Savannah, GA. It's definitely the longest driving day, but I want to see Savannah and it sets us up for a super easy drive the next day to Orlando.

Advice? Critique? I am open to any and all suggestions! We don't leave until Sept. 30, so I have time to make adjustments.

The trip home will be an entirely different story...U.S. History hot spot tour!

Welcome to RTA!

Just one bit you might want to be aware of -- that first day is going to be a bit longer than 8 hours, despite taking I-84 instead of I-95. Allow another hour or so. Actually, any good interstate rest area or a city park would be a good place to stretch your legs and throw a Frisbee around.

About your second day -- only you will be the judge, but I'm not sure I'd want to drive another 5 hours after spending 6 hours in a theme park. I'd simply be too physically tired, even when I was younger!

Donna

Default Adjust your driving days.

Not only would I not want to drive 5 hours after spending more than half a day in a theme park with three excited children, you are then planning on the next day doing a super drive. My guess is that you will be too tired if you do the five hours, and next day will not get anywhere near as far as you plan.

I'd be inclined to divide the drive down to Orlando up, so that you have two comfortably full driving days, and maybe get a couple of hours in after Hershey.

Lifey

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Not only would I not want to drive 5 hours after spending more than half a day in a theme park with three excited children, you are then planning on the next day doing a super drive. My guess is that you will be too tired if you do the five hours, and next day will not get anywhere near as far as you plan.

Lifey
    Thanks for the feedback! I am inclined to agree about the drive after Hershey. Although we think nothing of driving 3 hours each way and spending the day at a theme park in NH...

Would taking 95 really cut an hour off our travel time? I have heard such horror stories about the traffic that we thought it might even out heading north then west.

Default Think long distance, not a sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by ABitDistracted View Post
    Although we think nothing of driving 3 hours each way and spending the day at a theme park in NH...
    You need to recognise the difference between a one day trip and a multi day trip. Driving just the one day often allows one to extend the trip longer than is realistically possible on a multi day trip. Fatigue is cumulative.

Would taking 95 really cut an hour off our travel time?
    Your horror stories are very likely true. Maybe I could add a few to them. I-95 is more likely to add an hour. That computer program where you got the times has never been on the road and seen the congestion possible on I-95.

Lifey

6. Default

I think we are going to stick with the plan and not do Hersheypark. Mainly because we almost were like the Griswold's in 'Vacation' showing up when the park is closed. Oops! All for the best.

So it will break down like this:
    Cape to Hershey - 465mi
    Hershey to Lynchburg - 300 mi
    Lynchburg to Savannah - 440 mi
    Savannah to Orlando - 300 mi

We are spending 2 weeks in FL before heading back home, and then taking at least a week to drive north. I drive a Jeep Wrangler, so we are definitely not speed demons and are much more likely to head off the beaten track and off major highways to secondary roads.

Keep the tips coming! It's been a great help!

Default Old US highways.

Quote Originally Posted by ABitDistracted View Post
    We are spending 2 weeks in FL before heading back home, and then taking at least a week to drive north. I drive a Jeep Wrangler, so we are definitely not speed demons and are much more likely to head off the beaten track and off major highways to secondary roads.
    I take it you have good maps. Along your route, many of the old US highways are marked as scenic routes on most maps. At your pace you will have ample time to really enjoy these and the many small towns and natural attractions along the way.

Lifey

Default An Inland Route

One inland route up (or down) the east coast is described here along with a route that hugs the coast. You might find these useful.

AZBuck

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    One inland route up (or down) the east coast is described here along with a route that hugs the coast. You might find these useful.

AZBuck
    That touches just about every place we have been looking at on the maps!

As for maps, is there are particular company that you recommend? We are going to try to do a lot of geography and teach the kids how to actually read one rather than relying on GPS...

Default What a great idea.

Good for you. Such an essential skill. I am sure you will be fine with any recognised map producer.

When I travel I normally have a Rand McNally Road Atlas, maps of each State and major urban centre along my route from AAA (free to members) and then I like to pick up the State issued maps as I get to the Welcome Centres or Visitor Information. I find that often you will see a couple of things on each map which are not on the other two.

Lifey