1. Default Fl to great lakes

My husband and daughter are planning a road trip in September. Jacksonville to Asheville, to chillicothe ohio to Cuyahoga valley, to Cleveland. Then up to pictured rocks natl lakeshore in michigan.
    Last edited by pipgarden; 08-18-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: more info

2. Default

In Asheville a zip line, maybe downtown. Next day we've moved on. Hopewell culture center is near chillicothe ohio. Overnight near Cuyahoga valley park. Scenic train, maybe some canal towpaths. Cleveland has rock and roll hall of fame.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA! What type of help are you looking for?

4. Default

Hi Donna. I guess im wondering about time/distances. From Cleveland up into michigan towards the pictured rocks national lakeshore then back to canada, either sault st marie or port huron/sarnia. Crossing the border? Petroglyphs in michigan on return south? Campgrounds near pictured rocks? How crowded in mid Sept?

Tucson, AZ

Default Timing, Routes, and Alternatives

The first thing to keep in mind on a trip of this scale is just that, scale. If you use computer-based mapping routines, they will return driving time estimates in terms of hours and minutes. Such estimates are pure fantasy. You are far better off just thinking in terms of days for each segment of the trip. Details down to the minute (and even the hour) will depend un unforeseen factors such as traffic, construction, and your own preferences for how often and how long to stop. So, with that in mind...

Jacksonville to Asheville is a comfortable day's drive with time for a short, hour or two, stop along the way if you so desire. Two possibilities are a stop in Savannah to stroll through some of the Squares for which it is famous, and Congaree National Park.

Ashville to Cleveland would be a very solid day's drive even if you didn't make any stops. If you want to stop in Chilcothe, then you shouldn't plan on getting much beyond Columbus, but you should try to get to its northern fringes so that you're not fighting rush hour traffic the next morning when you continue your drive to the Cleveland area.

Cleveland to Picture Rocks is another very solid day's drive, particularly considering you'll have to get out of Cleveland and around Toledo and Detroit. If you decide to make any stops along this segment, such as Greenfield Village, Sanilac Petroglyphs Historic State Park, Colonial Michilimackinac State Historical Park or others, then you'll need to schedule closer to two full days for this leg.

Crossing the border into Canada will require that you have your passport, but otherwise typically presents no problems. If you are going to the trouble of doing that however, I'd suggest that you make more of it by basically driving around (and through) Lake Huron by taking the Trans-Canada Highway (ON-17) east to Espanola, ON-6 south from there via the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry to Hamilton ON, and finally the QEW to Niagara Falls. You'd then return to the US there and take I-90/I-79/I-77/I-26/I-95 back to Jacksonville. Such a routing lets you see a completely different set of sights than on you visited on the way north. It would require that you budget three days for the driving plus any major stops that you decide to make.

Green County, Wisconsin

As Buck mentioned, Cleveland to Pictured Rocks is a very full day on the road. You should be able to avoid Detroit traffic by using US-23 through Ann Arbor, but even there, it's going to be a good 10 hours, without extra stops.

For camping, you should have no issues in September at all finding a site. There are tons of camping opportunities in that area, and even in the middle of summer you can find sites available. I've never camped in Pictured Rocks itself, instead I've found some great sites in the surrounding Hiawatha National Forest. There is a National Forest office right in Munising that can provide maps and other info.

If you're planning to head across to Sault Ste Marie, I'd also make time for Tahquamenon Falls and the Shipwreck museum, between Pictured Rocks and SSM.