1. Default Back roads to take CT to ME

We have no choice but to leave at 10:00 AM from Danbury,CT to go to Portland,ME. I know beach traffic will be a night mare on the interstates. Does anyone have any off interstate, back road suggestions to complete this leg of our journey?

Tucson, AZ

Default First

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You should change your user name.

Second. There are certainly ways around the direct Interstate route (I-84/I-90/I-290/I-495/I-95) but you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Of all those routes, only I-95 along the MA/NH/ME coastlines should see much beach traffic. Even there, the only time I knew the Maine Turnpike to get really nightmarish was on the Sunday or Monday night at the of end of the Labor Day weekend. We locals would just go out and have picnics on the overpasses and watch all the tourists finally leave! So I think any back road route would probably not be time-effective. You'd spend more time avoiding traffic than you would spend in it.

However, saving time is not the only reason to shun the Interstates. If you really want an alternative route, here is one that I have used and found relaxing (usually). Just take US-202 all the way to Gorham ME and then ME-25 into Portland. It's simple to follow, bypasses all of the major urban areas and most of the smaller ones, and will 'only' cost you three hours of extra driving.