1. Default San Francisco to Eastern Oregon

Hello folks!

I'm planning a trip from San Francisco up to Eastern Oregon in a couple weeks and would love some advice as I plan (it's a somewhat spontaneous trip!). Trip length will be anywhere from 5-7 days, and I plan to camp/stay in budget motels along the way. Primary interests are photography and hiking. Will be my first time really exploring Oregon, too. My first destination is Crater Lake. Should I aim to camp there the first night, or stay over in Klamath Falls the first night and head to CL in the am? How many days do I need at CL and best things to do there?

From Crater Lake I plan to head to Bend. Any suggestions of things to see/do in and around Bend? Is one day enough?

From Bend area I plan to head to John Day Fossil Beds and Painted Hills. Any recommendations on where to stay the night? I know there are a number of campgrounds, just not sure how to choose. Was also considering staying in Mitchell.

From here my plans really need some guidance. Was hoping to head northeast and do the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway over two days. Is this worthwhile? Any recommendations on where to stay the night? As an alternative, I was also considering the High Desert Discovery Scenic Byway near Steens Mountain . Can anyone recommend one over the other or which suits my trip best?

And then of course I would head home, probably doing it over two days (??). Not sure where might be a good place to stop overnight - recs? In addition to the above, any info on things not to miss or the best routes for this itinerary would be appreciated. Also - is this even doable?? Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Tucson, AZ

Default A Little Help

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Because you only need a little. What you have planned out is a great geologist/naturalist/photographic RoadTrip. I'm only sorry that such a trip hadn't occurred to me - it's now on my Wish List. Thanks!

The main concerns you have seem to be time available an camping opportunities. What I can tell yo is that you can do all the driving, to eve3ry place on your list, and get back to San Francisco in about four solid days worth of driving. Now that only leaves you about one to three days for hiking, photography, visiting information centers and the like. I would think you'd want to be at the top end of that and take the full seven days that you indicate you have available. How much time to spend at any one site is entirely up to you, including whether to drop a site or two. Just note that the places where you could spend the most time - Crater Lake and the John Day National Monument are at the beginning of your trip. Spending a full day at each of those still lets you dawdle a bit over the two great scenic byways you've lined up for your return trip.

As for where to camp, probably your best bets are national lands. There should be available campsites at Crater Lake but I'd call ahead to make a reservation anyway. But the bulk of your camping will be in the national forests that are so plentiful all along your route: Klamath, Shasta-Trinity, Rogue River-Siskiyoiu, Umpqua, Deschutes and Ochoco, Umatilla, Malheur, Fremont-Wineme, Modoc, and[ url=]Lassen[/url].

Default Camping suggestions

We covered most of the territory you just mentioned this summer while in Oregon. How developed do you want for camping? I have several suggestions, most of them at public campgrounds, without many amenities. Let me know if you are OK with basics; table, firering, toilet (vault or flush) and water (but not always).
    While in the Bend area I can recommend the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Camping is available along the scenic drive. The Lava Lands Visitor Center has several wonderful areas to explore as well. State park camping I. The area is excellent; La Pine and Tumalo State Parks. If near a weekend make reservations, their online system works well.
    With some information from you I can provide additional information as well.

PS - our time in some of that area was posted on 6-20-14