Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Loads of help needed for first time road trippers

Can anyone help please. I would like to plain my first trip with my wife next August. After finding this great web site i thought i would ask for advise. We are looking to go for about 10 to 12 days and after reading the forum was thinking las vegas to san francisco via grand canyon and yosemite (poss death valley) sound great. Is this possible? We like the idea of a bit of coast and a bit of wildlife. If there are any other trips out there for new comers please advise. Can anyone please let me know how you organise these trips?Do you book everything direct or through a company? I suspose bed and breakfast are best value? Does anyone have ideas on days best to stay at each location? Sorry for so many questons but i really dont know anything about road tripping. Thanks for your help, John

(Moderator note: I've moved this from the Planning Summer Trips to Fall/Winter trips, because later in the thread, John refers to traveling in September...)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-30-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The trip you are thinking about is the single most discussed route idea on the forum. I will say, that doing it as a loop is probably the best way to go about it, although if you could get a full 2 weeks, it would make for a less rushed trip. Here's some of our favorites on the topic to help you get started on the planning.

Most people who use this website are DIY trip planners, who are looking to do the planning , reservations, etc themselves. That's really the only way you can make the trip you want - which really is the ultimate freedom of a roadtrip. If you book through a company, odds are you are going to get a generic template of someone else's idea of a great trip.

Bed and Breakfasts in the US are generally not for budget lodging. They tend to be more focused on romantic getaways, and generally priced in the range of a mid to upper level hotel.

hi Micheal, thanks for your reply. If we were to do a round trip, would this give us anothe time to take in the sights? We dont mind taking our time atsome of the great places we were hoping to see. Which way is best SF to LV or LV to SF? Is it possible to book accomadation in the national parks or is it more cost effective to stay just outside?

Default No Such Thing

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Please repeat after me: "There's no thing like 'best'. There's no thing like 'best'..."

That's our mantra here at RoadTrip America. We're not going to be able to tell you the 'best' place(s) to go, the 'best' value in lodging, the 'best' amount of time to stay at any one place, or - for that matter - the 'best' anything. We can tell you what's available to you and make suggestions based on our own personal (and varied) experience, but in the end what's 'best' is what works for you, not us or anyone else.

So, with that in mind, I will say that the general trip you are thinking about is one of the most popular among our participants. There are any number of ways to go about it, or places to include within its general framework. I will also say that August is not the best time to see Death Valley unless you really want to experience its highest temperatures, 110-120║F.

As for what and how (or even whether) to book accommodations, that again is a very personal decision. I have stayed at motels, B&Bs, and vacation rentals. My preference is for vacation rentals simply for the freedom they offer. On the down side, they are a bit more expensive and finding them for periods of less than a week at a time is difficult. B&Bs offer the advantage of a local host who can often be the source of invaluable knowledge and a font of local lore. Motels offer the cheapest option and most have at least a few on-line reviews for you to check out. Many people swear by the RV experience despite its cost, the lifestyle far outweighing the money in their opinion. I will say that along the coast at least August is a heavy travel period and reservations are in order to avoid disappointment.

We'll be more than happy to answer any general of specific questions you may have, as long as they don't involve declaring one thing, any thing, to be the 'best'.

AZBuck

Default Some Info

Again, there is no 'best' way to make the trip you're considering. We generally recommend loop trips, beginning and ending in the same city, for a couple of reasons. Usually that helps keep costs down as airfares and car rental rates are lower if you have a single gateway city. Also loops tend to let you see more of the country you'll be traveling through as long as you don't just use the same route out and back to a far point destination. If you were going to include some of the California coast in your plans, then it might be to your advantage to do the loop in a counter-clockwise direction so that the ocean is on 'your' side of the road, making pulling off and getting back on easier at the various stopping points along the coast.

You can stay in the National Parks, but actual lodging accommodations at the most popular ones such as the Grand Canyon and Yosemite tend to book early and to be fairly expensive. To find reasonable rates for four walls and a roof, you generally have to be 30 or more miles outside the park gates. Not impossible, but it means you'll be spending some time on crowded roads leading into and out of the parks.

I agree with Michael. Ten days is just enough for a once-over-lightly of the places you've listed. Note that you'll need to spend a minimum of three and a half days drying a reasonable loop that includes them all, leaving you about (only) six days to actually explore and enjoy them.

AZBuck

Hi AZBUCK. There is no thing like best, there is no thing like best. I feel better all ready. Thanks for advise. So prob death valley out and more time in national parks or SF. Is there any chance of rafting on route

Default SoCal Whitewater

Whitewater rafting is available on the Kern River above Bakersfield, the Kaweah River near Sequoia & Kings Canyon, and the Merced & Tuolumne Rivers near Yosemite National Parks.

AZBuck

Default The other advantage of a loop.

The other advantage of a loop is that you can fly in and out of whichever city gives you the best deal for both flights and car rental - LA, SF or LV.

Lifey

Thanks everyone. Geetting some really good advise. What about LA instead of LV as DV may be a bit warm. Can i still do Yosamite. Would this give me a bit more time for sight seeing on a 12 dat tour

Default Time to prioritise.

Have you read the threads in the link in the first reply ? Have you a good map of the area ? Have you decided to do a one way trip or loop ? Have you decided you want to spend time in LA ? If it's a loop then it doesn't matter where you start other than the the one that offers the best deals as previously mentioned. I guess what I'm saying is you need to do a little research and decide for yourself what you want to do and then we can help put it together. For example from LA a loop trip would look something like this: LA >GC > LV >Yosemite [via Death valley drive]>San Fran > the coast to LA. If LA holds little interest or is not a preference with the time you have available then you could choose between LV or SF as a start and finish point and skip the urban sprawl of LA by cutting inland from the coast near the Cambria area. Example. SF > Cambria [via Big Sur] > GC [overnight stop on route]>LV > Yosemite [via DV] >SF.

Going to LA doesn't help much unless you want to spend time there, then it would be at the expense of elsewhere so you have to prioritise. Death valley is hot but it's still a wonderful drive between LV and Yosemite and you will be amazed at the landscape.