1. Default Las Vegas to Nashville

I am travelling from England in October and wanting to make a road trip from las Vegas to Nashville then on to new Orleans in around 20 days. I am looking for advice on where are good stop off/overs. I want to drive about 4 hours a day,but don't mind longer trips on certain days to make up time if it is worth staying over in certain areas. Any help gratefully received!

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Stops to Build a Trip Around

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With twenty days, even with driving only a few hours a day, you've got plenty of time to see some major attractions between Las Vegas and Nashville, as well as many other smaller venues that appeal to your personal interests. Some well-known attractions more-or-less along I-40, the main route between Las Vegas and Nashville, include the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest National Park, Petroglyph National Monument, Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo, the Oklahoma City Memorial, Hot Springs National Park, and Memphis (Graceland, Mud Island, Sun Studios, Beale Street). Between Nashville and New Orleans, the route of choice for a slower paced RoadTrip would be the Natchez Trace Parkway either all the way to Natchez or just to Jackson MS, and then either US-61 from Natchez or I-55 from Jackson into New Orleans.

As i said, even at your pace that still leaves plenty of time for many other sites, but before we can recommend things specific to your interests we would have to know what those interests were.

3. Default

Thanks for your swift response, I will be back in due course with our ideas.cheers
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-13-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: in-line quote not really needed here

4. Default

Looking at what we like, cars, music ,American culture. We will travel from Las Vegas to Nashville along the old route 66 as much as possible. Driving approx 250 miles each day.
    I worked out a basic route grand canyon/ Gallup/ Albuquerque/ Amarillo/ Oklahoma city/ Memphis/ Nashville . Obviously we want to do Memphis and Nashville for the music studios and Graceland, but recommendations of interesting places on the way, plus good value places to stay would help! We are happy to take the scenic route from Nashville to new Orleans, want to do the Mississippi river boats, and maybe at the end be near a nice beach for a couple of days. I am sure there must be loads of advice, I am keen to hear anything as I am sure it will all be helpful. Cheers

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Default Albuquerque / Central New Mexico

AZBuck already told you about the Petroglyphs, and here are a few more ideas for you:

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta runs from October 4th to October 12th this year.

A side trip to Santa Fe would be nice. From Albuquerque, you can take a quick drive up the Turquoise Trail Scenic Byway, or a longer day trip through the Jemez Mountains.

You could visit one of the many Indian Pueblos in the area.

There is also the Sandia Peak Tramway.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Howard Howdy!

Hey Howard,

Nice to see you on here.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Default thanks!

And howdy right backatcha!

Hope all is well with you.

8. Default

Thanks for your tips Howard, The balloon Fiesta may be just too early, as we expect to leave England around the 14th. We have just had our balloon fiesta in Bristol, the launch site is about 2 miles from my house, usually get about 120 balloons ascend at the same time! but the weather here doesn't always guarantee it happens! But it did this year 3days out of 4.
    I will go and check your suggestions