Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Driving from Seattle Wasington to Cranston Rhode Island

I am driving from Seattle to Cranston RI. Does anyone know the easiest route to take for my vehicle since I will be towing. The mapquest is sending me straight east on hwy 90 and drop down through Chicago to hwy 80 and then straight to Cranston. I thought it would be an easier drive towing going south to Portland OR and taking hwy 84 straight east to hwy 80! Can anyone help me. I know there is a couple hours difference but is it worth it?

thanks
    ldubb

Default what's your rig

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I-90 is generally a better choice for towing, as it is a lower elevation than I-80. Even if you wanted to dip down to the Columbia River to avoid Snoqualmie Pass, you could actually head back up to I-90 via I-82/US-395, and that would probably be a better choice than continuing all the way down to Utah.

Having said that, either option adds a solid 200 miles, which is significant and something I would probably avoid if possible. What is your towing set up - what are you towing and what vehicle will be pulling it? If you've got a set up that's good enough for a cross country trip, then Snoqualmie Pass shouldn't really be too difficult for you.

Default Sometimes...

...the extra mileage is worth it. I agree with Michael that I-90 is your best bet in the west because it is the shortest. Also, grades on the Interstates are limited to 6%, so you should be able to pull your rig up any hill you find. (There will be 'truck' lanes on these grades, use them.) But in the east, the considerations are different and adding a couple of hundred miles or so could pay off for you, literally. If you were to take I-90 into Chicago, I-294 around Chicago, and I-90/I-80 east past Cleveland, you'd be looking at around $50 in tolls (without E-ZPass and depending on what, exactly, you're towing). That would pay for a lot of gas. You could instead take I-39 south out of Madison WI to Bloomington IL, I-74 from there to Indianapolis and the I-495 Beltway, I-70 to Columbus and the I-270 Beltway, I-71 up to the Akron OH area, and I-76 to I-80. That adds around 200 miles but saves all those tolls as well as the hassle of getting through or around Chicago.

AZBuck

Buck makes an excellent point about avoiding tolls, which can get very pricey when you start adding extra axles.

Having said that, I'd modify Buck's suggestion a bit. Instead take I-90 to Sioux Falls, then drop down on I-29/I-680 to I-80 across Iowa. Get on I-74 at Davenport, and then continue as Buck suggested above. That will save you about 50 miles, compared to driving all the way to Wisconsin.

That will also save you the toll on I-39 in Illinois.

Don't take the I-74 bridge over the river in Davenport (it's old, narrow, and rough) - use either I-80 or I-280.

6. Default

My son recently purchased a 2004 Silverado 1500 with 100,000 miles on it. We will be towing a 5x10 closed trailer. I know that's not much but not knowing the truck I am just looking for the route that's the least stressful on the truck.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I-90 is generally a better choice for towing, as it is a lower elevation than I-80. Even if you wanted to dip down to the Columbia River to avoid Snoqualmie Pass, you could actually head back up to I-90 via I-82/US-395, and that would probably be a better choice than continuing all the way down to Utah.

Having said that, either option adds a solid 200 miles, which is significant and something I would probably avoid if possible. What is your towing set up - what are you towing and what vehicle will be pulling it? If you've got a set up that's good enough for a cross country trip, then Snoqualmie Pass shouldn't really be too difficult for you.

You should have no trouble at all with that load, and there's no reason really to go all the way down to Oregon.

I would focus more on making sure the truck is ready to go, especially since you just purchased it and don't really know it's history. A good inspection is the place to start, but I'd look at doing a transmission fluid flush, and if it doesn't already have it, I'd make sure to get a transmission cooler installed - something that's really important for any cross country tow.

Default Darned typos.

BTW, Buck meant I-465 round Indianapolis.

I've taken that route several times to Boston, and gives a really good run.

Lifey

9. Default

Thanks everyone. This has definitely been helpful.

With that truck and trailer, it will be a very easy tow as long as the truck has a V-8. If it has a V-6, it's going to be a strain.