1. Default Charlotte, NC to New Orleans

Hey fellow road trippers! I'm looking for advice/ideas/tips about driving through Atlanta. The way my itinerary works out, I should be passing through between 10am-12pm, missing the morning commute. Will this be enough to not get caught up in too much traffic or would I be better off going around it? If I do, I don't want to add any more than one hour to my trip. Also, this will be around my first rest period...any good food/restaurant recommendations in the area? Preferably after passing ATL, not before. Thank you in advance!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm guessing you're trying to do Charlotte to NOLA in a single day? You should know off the bat that while this is not impossible to do as a one day sprint, it is a brutally long day on the road. Despite what online mapping programs may tell you, it's going to take you a good 13 hours to cover the 700+ miles, which is longer than professional drivers are allowed to do in a single day.

Because you are already pushing the limits, I don't think you have much choice other than going right through Atlanta. My first plan would be to go right through the city, with plan B using I-285 around the south side of the city (Atl has so much sprawl, that the 285 bypass is often just as bad as downtown traffic).

I would make sure to check a traffic report just as you get into the Atlanta area, either by finding a report on the radio, or perhaps using your rest period to look for the information online.

If this isn't a one day trip, then I might look at some options to completely bypass the Atlanta Area - for example using a route that would take you near Augusta, Macon, and Columbus - but that's going to add miles and take you on 2 lane roads that would pretty easily add more than an hour to your drive, and would really push you into a danger zone for too many miles on a one day trip.