1. Default newbies with toddler taking a month from NY to Miami in may 2015

wow so glad i have found this forum some of the topics on here are amazingly helpful.

we have never hired an RV before and have just started looking at different hire companies, as we are on the road a long time id love some advice on what RV would be best for 2 very tall adults and a toddler with a room that you can close off for the toddler sleeping (something large and a bit more luxury if possible). also any advice on which company to go through?

Im hoping a month is enough time to relax and take it slow and stay a few different places along the way for maybe 5 days at a time. any advice on where to stop along that route?

Thank you in advance i look forward to your replies.

Default Budget?

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. A month for this trip -- sounds like a great pace. How tall are the adults -- "very tall" to me sounds like 6-8 or so -- and there are some construction limits with most RVs.

For a true luxury RV -- what is your budget? Have you ever driven a bus-sized vehicle? (It actually is easy to pick up -- the first time I drove a Class A (here is a short article about the various types of RVs) it only took me about a day to get used to taking up an entire lane on the highway and etc. They are a "dream" to park -- excellent visibility and engineering.

Another short article about traveling with a toddler

What sorts of attractions appeal to you more -- country, rural or urban on this adventure? Is it a round trip or one-way?

Mark

Default A couple more things to consider

A bit more reading -- a quick read...

We published a checklist of things that you ought to ask about and check when picking up a RV and it is a good idea to read this now -- it helps stimulate other ideas as you move down this plan....

Overview about renting RV's

The checklist referred to above.

Mark

4. Default

Not too far from Miami, I highly recommend you camp at Lion Country Safari! Although the campground is nothing special, it abuts the park and you might hear lions roaring in the morning. We drove our rented motorhome through the park which was a great way to see the animals up close. We were the FIRST to go through the gates, easy to do when you stay there overnight, and saw the animals at their most active time. Just be careful not to run over the giraffes, rhinos, ostriches and many other animals blocking your way! Oh, be aware that you will pass through several metal gates that are BARELY wider than your rv, missing your mirrors by inches!

The best part for toddlers might be their amusement/nature park included with your admission. It has a lush tropical entrance and compares to Disney on cleanliness. I expected nothing but was SUPER impressed. Most everything was free, although you did have to pay to hand feed bananas to the giraffes from the shaded elevated pavilion. Watching was free. They had free miniature golf, a tiny train that the youngsters loved, lots of interesting animal exhibits and birds too. Best of all was the water play area specifically designed for toddlers and youngsters! This place reminded me of what Busch Gardens was like 50 years ago.

When we were there, we took advantage of their combo camping and park deal, including two days unlimited entry into both parks.

Your toddler will love this!!!
    Last edited by travelingman; 08-10-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Typos

Default Report on point!

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
    Best of all was the water play area specifically designed for toddlers and youngsters! This place reminded me of what Busch Gardens was like 50 years ago.
    Excellent field report -- thanks for sharing this information with us.

Mark