1. Default Blue Ridge Parkway Weekend trip..

We are planning a 4 day road trip from Philadelphia to Raonoke (VA) using blue ridge parkway and back.

We will have a toddler and a 4 month old infant with us. We just want to do scenic drive, mutliple stopovers for the kid to run around, easy hikes, etc. I have found a good deal for hotel in Daleville so I am thinking we will spend two nights there.

Can someone please help with itinerary and suggested places?

my rough-subjected-to-change itinerary is something like..

Philadelphia to Humpback Rocks visitors center.. stop by for an hour or two..

Humpback Rocks to Peaks of Otter, Peaks, VA

Overnight hotel stay in Daleville

Roanoke Mountain

ROcky Knob and Marby Mill

Overnight stay again in Daleville

roanoke zoo (may be)

Stop by family for lunch or dinner in Ashburn (VA)

Drive back to Philadelphia

Tucson, AZ

Default Here's the Problem

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I'm sure you envision the trip down the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway as a leisurely, relaxed and scenic drive. That it will be and that's the problem. With a 35-40 mph speed limit over much of their lengths, using those roads puts you on the horns of a dilemma. The itinerary you have laid out for your three day trip is simply impossible. On the way down you would have to negotiate my all time least favorite stretches of road, I-95 between Wilmington and Washington and the Washington Beltway, and then you'd still be hard pressed to get between Philadelphia and Daleville in a day viathe full length of the SD/BRP. You simply don't have time to stop by the Humpback Visitors Center for and hour or two, or for multiple stopovers for the kid to run around, easy hikes, or anything else. The same would be true of the return drive. Phialdelphia to Daleville is too far and the BRP is simply too slow get this drive done in a day. The same is true of the drive back. If you really only have three days, then you're going to have to find an endpoint closer to home, spend more time on Interstates than on the BRP, or both.

You did mention that this was to be a four day weekend. If you indeed have a fourth day, then you can take a leisurely pace one way to Daleville, but the other would still have to be considerably faster than what you've now got planned for either direction.