1. Default Canadian couple with baby: Toronto to Philly and back - 6 nights

Hello there. Newbie to this forum.
    Travelling from Toronto to Philly for a wedding end of Oct 2014.
    We are a couple with a baby who will be almost 8 months old.

Any advice re: what route to take, what stops to make?

Thinking about breaking up the drive over two days there and two days back:
    Day 1: Toronto to stop 1 (? Binghamton or Williamsport?)
    Day 2: stop 1 to Philly
    Day 3-4: Philly wedding
    Day 5: Philly to Pittsburgh
    Day 6: Pittsburgh back home to Toronto

Any ideas re: good stops for stop 1, and for Pittsburgh/surrounding areas? We've never been to any of these places before!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Excited Canadians to roadtrip with baby for the first time!

Tucson, AZ

Default With a Child in Mind

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When traveling with a very young child, you have to be ready for anything. He (my apologies if your child is your daughter) may require attention at any minute, more than you can give by reaching over the front seats to get to him. For that reason alone, you would be better off avoiding turnpikes where it can often be 10, 15, even 20 miles to the next exit or service area. Saving the tolls is just a bonus. Another bonus is getting to travel at a slightly slower pace through some beautiful countryside and make relatively frequent roadside stops at local parks so he (and you) can get some fresh air.

With that in mind, I'd suggest that you follow a basic route built around roads such as NY-63/NY-36 (running parallel to I-90/I-390), US-15, PA-61, and US-422 for the run down to Philly. The midway point would be around Mansfield PA, at the junction of US-15 and US-6, which has at least a few lodging options. Places worth checking out along such a route include Letchworth State Park, the Corning Museum of Glass, the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, the VF Outlet Center in Reading, and others.

As for Pittsburgh, I'm not that familiar with it, but speaking from the experiences I've had with my two grandsons when they were younger I'd just note that starting about now and lasting for just a few years is the prime time to treat your young one to zoos and aquariums. Pittsburgh's are co-located making that the obvious choice.

3. Default

Thank you so much AZBuck!

Your advice re: off the major routes wasn't something we had thought about. Great idea. I've started looking at some of those routes you've mentioned, and I'm getting excited for our trip already! And thanks for the stops/places to check out

Thanks again =)